What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Virtual PDF printer? Does anyone know of one?

Jpmboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not referring to the various apps that will convert to pdf, or require you to create or browse to a page in them in order to print.

Why is there no virtual pdf printer for ipad? Why was the only one that was available pulled from the itunes store? Moreover, with ios6, airprint through to a network printer on my home network will not work, whereas it did with ios5. I have 3 pads... 2, 3 and 4. All suffer the same imprisonment...

Is apple the new IBM and we need to throw a hammer through the BS?

Nikhil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tap that option you will then see email and print select print.And ya I'm doing this in iBooks

Attachments

• image-1239567257.jpg
    image-1239567257.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 924

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not referring to the various apps that will convert to pdf, or require you to create or browse to a page in them in order to print.

Why is there no virtual pdf printer for ipad? Why was the only one that was available pulled from the itunes store? Moreover, with ios6, airprint through to a network printer on my home network will not work, whereas it did with ios5. I have 3 pads... 2, 3 and 4. All suffer the same imprisonment...

Is apple the new IBM and we need to throw a hammer through the BS?

What exactly is a virtual PDF printer?

I'm running iOS6...and I have my printer on wifi. Using an app that comes from Netgear, whose router I have, I can print to any printer on my system. That includes the Epson on wifi, as well as the PDF converter on my system. Thus, from my iPad, I can create a PDF of anything I wish to print. But most apps of note will let you save a file as a PDF.

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:

I'm running iOS6...and I have my printer on wifi. Using an app that comes from Netgear, whose router I have, I can print to any printer on my system. That includes the Epson on wifi, as well as the PDF converter on my system. Thus, from my iPad, I can create a PDF of anything I wish to print. But most apps of note will let you save a file as a PDF.

I have one on my laptop with Windows Vista. It lets you 'print to file' rather than actually print, which converts anything into a PDF format file. Not needed on my iPad with the various apps available.

OP
J

Jpmboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:

Uh - really? Are you referring to an airprinter - yeah, that's easy and not what im trying to do Or are you referring to hooking into a printer connected to a pc or router on your network. So, when you go to print are your printers listed in the "Select Printer" popup? And by sharing a pdf printer from a pc on your network does it show up in the select printer pop up on your ipad? We have 3 pads, 5 PCs, on a network with one dns server and several accesspoints and extenders. As soon as os6 was pushed down, it farked the whole multiplatform setup.

Virtual printer: Until december there was a great app in the app store called Print to PDF which you loaded and would show as a native printer you could select to print to no matter where you were. Apple pulled this app (by AppRay) from the store to the disappointment of many users It got rave reviews from the community, from cnet etc... But was removed by Apple.

OP
J

Jpmboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Roy Rob said:
I have one on my laptop with Windows Vista. It lets you 'print to file' rather than actually print, which converts anything into a PDF format file. Not needed on my iPad with the various apps available.

What "various" apps??

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Uh - really? Are you referring to an airprinter - yeah, that's easy and not what im trying to do Or are you referring to hooking into a printer connected to a pc or router on your network. So, when you go to print are your printers listed in the "Select Printer" popup? And by sharing a pdf printer from a pc on your network does it show up in the select printer pop up on your ipad? We have 3 pads, 5 PCs, on a network with one dns server and several accesspoints and extenders. As soon as os6 was pushed down, it farked the whole multiplatform setup.

Virtual printer: Until december there was a great app in the app store called Print to PDF which you loaded and would show as a native printer you could select to print to no matter where you were. Apple pulled this app (by AppRay) from the store to the disappointment of many users It got rave reviews from the community, from cnet etc... But was removed by Apple.

No, my printer is not an airprinter. I got it before apple released the airprinter stuff. Netgear has a PC program that turns any printer on your system into an air printer. So, my Epson printer becomes an air printer and indeed shows up in the popup dialog on my iPad. I have a PC program sold by nuance that edits and creates PDFs. It has a print driver so I can create PDFs from any program just by selecting it as a device to print to. Because of that same netgear program, it too shows up on my iPad when I go to print. The output shows up on my PC, not on my iPad, however.

Apple must have had a reason to remove the app from the store. As they have nearly 300,000 iPad apps in the store, I don't imagine it was for no reason they removed it.

OP
J

Jpmboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
No, my printer is not an airprinter. I got it before apple released the airprinter stuff. Netgear has a PC program that turns any printer on your system into an air printer. So, my Epson printer becomes an air printer and indeed shows up in the popup dialog on my iPad. I have a PC program sold by nuance that edits and creates PDFs. It has a print driver so I can create PDFs from any program just by selecting it as a device to print to. Because of that same netgear program, it too shows up on my iPad when I go to print. The output shows up on my PC, not on my iPad, however.

Apple must have had a reason to remove the app from the store. As they have nearly 300,000 iPad apps in the store, I don't imagine it was for no reason they removed it.

Yeah thats how it used to work for me using the Airprint tweak to windows on my home network. Not sure what os6 did but that no longer works - have two netgear APs and one router on the network, L'll check their website. Do you recall the name of the netgear apl?
Its a shame re: a native pdfprinter for ipad. Would be a big seller...

So... No one knows of an Apple-blessed native pdf printer for ipad?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah thats how it used to work for me using the Airprint tweak to windows on my home network. Not sure what os6 did but that no longer works - have two netgear APs and one router on the network, L'll check their website. Do you recall the name of the netgear apl?
Its a shame re: a native pdfprinter for ipad. Would be a big seller...

So... No one knows of an Apple-blessed native pdf printer for ipad?

It's called Netgear Genie. We have a lot of members here who bring new info all the time, so you may not want to give up just yet....I too would like such a thing.

BTW, lots of apps can use the OPEN IN feature...so you can vector things off the apps like Good Reader, PDF Expert.....this may be another way to get a PDF. Apps like Pages, Numbers, etc, then to have the ability to save files in PDF format. I think that might be what the other poster was referring to by "various apps."

OP
J

Jpmboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
It's called Netgear Genie. We have a lot of members here who bring new info all the time, so you may not want to give up just yet....I too would like such a thing.

BTW, lots of apps can use the OPEN IN feature...so you can vector things off the apps like Good Reader, PDF Expert.....this may be another way to get a PDF. Apps like Pages, Numbers, etc, then to have the ability to save files in PDF format. I think that might be what the other poster was referring to by "various apps."

Thanks. I have several of "those" apps and many work-arounds to try to mimick what one app did really well. Dropping a pdf to your ipad should be A one-touch thing. And the user community really should not tolerate that. I have the net genie app. It is bundled with their routers and hard coded in the firmware. I have even assigned dedicated secure ports to the printer problem to no avail. By a POE, it must be a network security problem.

I appreciate your advice, most mac/pad "gurus" ask if the wifi is on! :)
Cheers

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:

You are correct AQ_OC that is what this "other poster" was referring to.... ;)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks. I have several of "those" apps and many work-arounds to try to mimick what one app did really well. Dropping a pdf to your ipad should be A one-touch thing. And the user community really should not tolerate that. I have the net genie app. It is bundled with their routers and hard coded in the firmware. I have even assigned dedicated secure ports to the printer problem to no avail. By a POE, it must be a network security problem.

I appreciate your advice, most mac/pad "gurus" ask if the wifi is on! :)
Cheers

Interesting...you must have a newer router than I.....the program is not firmware in my 3700...you have to download it from their website...or least I did, and it sits in the icon tray on my start menu on Win7. Things change over time, I guess.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:

So would I. My wish is to have a USB stick with AirPrint installed and just plug into the Pictbridge port of my printer. However, I'm still looking :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:
OP
J

Jpmboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Interesting...you must have a newer router than I.....the program is not firmware in my 3700...you have to download it from their website...or least I did, and it sits in the icon tray on my start menu on Win7. Things change over time, I guess.

That is different. I'll look again. Could be interesting in that i have netgear, linysys, and a TP link hi gain (this one is great, shoots to one of our out buildings and signal is very strong). Will get back with results.

OP
J

Jpmboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried netgear genie - no help probably because the 2500RP and 3000N are used as an extender and access point, but thanks for the tip. Airprint Installer - no help (the german patch). This series of commands below worked in the past with iOS5 and the apple airprint utility, but no more...

sc.exe create AirPrint binPath= "C:\Program Files (x86)\AirPrint\airprint.exe -R _ipp._tcp,_universal -s" depend= "Bonjour Service" start= auto

sc.exe start AirPrint

If i figure this out, i'll post the solution.

Getting my network printers to show is one thing. A pdf printer would allow me to drop a pdf to my ipad anytime, anywhere.

Most reactions