What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vehicle speed

bofort

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there an app which would allow you to video a vehicle and see the speed it is travelling at, then snap the picture showing car and speed?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Boy...I'd love that app if one exists!

We have drivers that speed through our subdivision all day long and that's with an Elementary school at the corner of our sub. :(

LeCaid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, if you ever go to Germany and speed there, they'll mail you the ticket without a cop ever having seen you. It's all automatic. Big Brother does it all. Unlike here where some offenders run up thousands of dollars in fines, over there they do collect and not only once a year.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Is there an app which would allow you to video a vehicle and see the speed it is travelling at, then snap the picture showing car and speed?

Well, if you were sitting in the passenger seat of the car and making a video of its speedometer, you would at least have the speed - ;)

But seriously, measuring the speed of a vehicle requires reflecting radio or light (laser) waves off the moving object and detecting the change in frequencies (i.e. Doppler effect) - radar or lidar would be needed - I guess that a hardware device w/ those features attached to an iPad w/ an accompanying app is a possibility - does one exist? Not sure - Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is not impossible; but you are talking about cutting edge object detection and interpretation. I've seen demos in tech blogs, but nothing like a real product.

I willing to guess that a developer could build a single scenario app fairly easy. It would require something like pointing the iPad 90 degrees to the path of the car and letting the car drive by.

Anything more complicated than that is going to require the iPad to 'understand' the video well enough to determine what angle you are viewing, what the landmarks are, how far away they are, and witch object is the car.

What's easy for humans is hard for computers, and vice-versa. Understanding a complicated scene is easy for humans. It's really really hard for computers.

Most reactions

Latest posts