What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using 3G service makes iPad warm?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, almost hot. Today I noticed that it was pretty warm. I use 3G all the time out in the field and never noticed this.

I thought I read that the iPad works harder when using 3G?

Or not...:eek:

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a fairly heavy user Marie. Never noticed anything significant in terms of heat.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Come to think of it ~ it was only the left front that was warm. Funny you should ask that, Leigh. Why did you ask that? Trying to get inside that smart head of yours!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You don't want to get in here, trust me! Are you sure it wasn't environmental being on the front? Sun shining on a spot through a window before you picked it up? The front should never get hot from internals!

Reaction score
When heavy using, like Puffin browser or other heavy usage apps, mine will get very warm AFTER I finish using it. I just figured it's a heat dissipation thing. It does it at the top and bottom thirds of the entire back. It's only that way for a few minutes and will be slightly warm at most during use.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You don't want to get in here, trust me! Are you sure it wasn't environmental being on the front? Sun shining on a spot through a window before you picked it up? The front should never get hot from internals!

I would not ever let my iPad in the sun! I remember though, Leigh, when I first joined this site ~someone told me that when 3G is activated it makes our iPads work harder...

But that would be a hella lot of posts to go through to find that.:D

When heavy using, like Puffin browser or other heavy usage apps, mine will get very warm AFTER I finish using it. I just figured it's a heat dissipation thing. It does it at the top and bottom thirds of the entire back. It's only that way for a few minutes and will be slightly warm at most during use.

Support Our Troops!
Sent from my iPad

Well this is good to know!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've not used 3G on my iPad yet but I would think since it uses more energy than wifi that if your signal was weak and the iPad tried to compensate, assuming it does that like a phone would, that the battery would work harder thus creating more heat.

Support Our Troops!
Sent from my iPad

k7lvo

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The power output of the 3G transmitter is quite low, although I've never seen the specs.

I haven't used the iPad in this manner yet, but the iPhone gets almost too warm to hold comfortably when I run a GPS app and charge it at the same time (which is almost a necessity with the iPhone - the GPS seems to take a LOT more power than the 3G radio.) it seems to get to "full heat" in a half hour or so. I've had it set up that way for several hours at a time. It seems to get hottest on the upper back.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thinking about this last night you could be right about the 3G. As others have said, the iPhone does warm up particularly if I have been on a long call. Maybe if you were pushing hard for half an hour or so it was sufficient to generate some proper heat...
Is it back to normal now Marie?

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it back to normal now Marie?

Oh yes. It was back to normal before I slipped that puppy back into it's case, while still in my car.

And you know ~ it might have happened before while accessing 3G, I just never touched the iPad directly, maybe. This time I just happened to.

Reaction score
Interesting theory ~ I suspect it must be true as it happened to me.

The iPad seems to be designed to dissipate heat quickly so I guess it would feel warmer since it's getting rid of the heat faster than say plastic.
My Omnia phone( I still use it as a wifi PDA) CPU area gets warm enough to use as a hand warmer when I use it for any length of time, add in the battery heat and it's great on a cold morning if I forgot to bring gloves ;)

Support Our Troops!
Sent from my iPad

Most reactions

Latest posts