What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"->|" used in login password but key not proccessed in „Touch ID & Code" Setting

Remi‘s Phone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used the tab character in my login password when I did the configuration of my new IPad. The tab character is recognized as a valid symbol upon the login prompt, so I can unlock my device just fine. However when entering the iPad login code anywhere else in the OS, eg. for the „Touch ID & Code" Setting or confirmation for creating a new AppleID, the tab key is not captured. Therefore I m not able to change the password or even create an AppleId which again is mandatory for using most of the Apple Services.

What can I do, how can I properly enter the tab character ( "->| " on the left of the keyboard) into the „Touch ID & Code" field?
Is there a troubleshoot given I have no AppleId or computer at hand? Thanks

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I used the tab character in my login password when I did the configuration of my new IPad. The tab character is recognized as a valid symbol upon the login prompt, so I can unlock my device just fine. However when entering the iPad login code anywhere else in the OS, eg. for the „Touch ID & Code" Setting or confirmation for creating a new AppleID, the tab key is not captured. Therefore I m not able to change the password or even create an AppleId which again is mandatory for using most of the Apple Services.

What can I do, how can I properly enter the tab character ( "->| " on the left of the keyboard) into the „Touch ID & Code" field?
Is there a troubleshoot given I have no AppleId or computer at hand? Thanks

I would try going to settings - Reset - and reset all contents and settings and start afresh. If you have no Apple ID yet, your iPad shouldn’t be locked.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums!

The other threads you’ve started describing the same problem have been removed. It’s better to keep the discussion of a problem to one thread only. The results will be better, suggestions more accurate, when our members can read what has been posted before.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It’s not possible to change the appearance of the built in keyboard, which is the only one you can use when entering the passcode or in Settings.

I suppose you’re trying to use the tab key for your passcode (for unlocking your device).

The tab key isn’t there when I try unlocking my smaller iPad Pro, and it also doesn’t appear in Settings - TouchID & Passcode:
F3BECD6A-28BD-4770-9F44-0A8169113B2B.png

If you don’t own an iPad Pro with 12.9”, where the tab key appears in Settings and when you enter the passcode, it would be better to follow Jupiter7’s advice and set up a new passcode.

Last edited:
OP
R

Remi‘s Phone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It’s not possible to change the appearance of the built in keyboard, which is the only one you can use when entering the passcode or in Settings.

I suppose you’re trying to use the tab key for your passcode (for unlocking your device).

The tab key isn’t there when I try unlocking my smaller iPad Pro, and it also doesn’t appear in Settings - TouchID & Passcode:
View attachment 82190
If you don’t own an iPad Pro with 12.9”, where the tab key appears in Settings and when you enter the passcode, it would be better to follow Jupiter7’s advice and set up a new passcode.

oh it s the 12.9'' device, the tab key appeared on the login screen and I used it when I initially set my password. In the Settings section, the tab key is there as well, I can even select it but it is not proccessed as a character in the login string.

Last edited:
OP
R

Remi‘s Phone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would try going to settings - Reset - and reset all contents and settings and start afresh. If you have no Apple ID yet, your iPad shouldn’t be locked.
thank you for the reply, unfortunately I need to enter my password for doing a reset and it is exaclty there (in all the settings sections that require you to enter a password)nwhere my tab character is not being read in the input stream.
It was a bad choice to use these characters but I thought I just go with all they provide. Apple's software might have a semantic error here.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
thank you for the reply, unfortunately I need to enter my password for doing a reset and it is exaclty there (in all the settings sections that require you to enter a password)nwhere my tab character is not being read in the input stream.
It was a bad choice to use these characters but I thought I just go with all they provide. Apple's software might have a semantic error here.
Erase your device using one of these options:
If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled

Most reactions

Latest posts