What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB Adaptor for ipad 2

JF7FSU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any comment on how well these work and do they work with the 2? I see some inexpensive ones on eBay for $16. Also if I eventually jb are there any jb apps that allow this to use standard USB thin drives for storage?

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd be leery of eBay 3rd party camera connection kits or USB or sd adapters. Apple ones may be more pricey but guaranteed to work.
Yes, USB adapter works with thumb drives, if jailbroken. But, it's a hit n miss on which ones wrk. If they draw to much voltage from connector then they won't work. It has to be one of the cheaper ones with no light.

Chriztofor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Isn't the camera connection kit a USB adapter? Can you use the camera connection kit with your external hard drive?

WholeApple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.WholeApple.com
Camera Connection Kits and 3rd Party Devices

The third party kits, or dongles, if they work at all, will work just fine. These little dongles are about as simple as you can get tech wise, there's nothing to them. As to the Apple vs. thrid party ones, I like that some of the third party dongles are "all in ones" versus the two from Apple, which is silly, and makes you have to keep track of two really small dongles. They are easily lost, trust me.

Any vendors who want to throw one our way for review feel free!

Chris

fmmrz5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Isn't the camera connection kit a USB adapter? Can you use the camera connection kit with your external hard drive?

As far as I know without a jb the camera connection kit will only recognize picture files. But once jailbroken and using an app like ifile you can use it with thumb drives (as long as they are low power and you get lucky for it to work) and sd cards.

So my understanding is that we will have to wait for the public i pad 2 jailbreak to come out before we can take advantage of this feature. I also don't like the idea of keeping track of all these dongles. stupid 30pin connector

PS. im a complete noob so i hope someone will correct me if im wrong

Chriztofor

iPF Noob
Reaction score

As far as I know without a jb the camera connection kit will only recognize picture files. But once jailbroken and using an app like ifile you can use it with thumb drives (as long as they are low power and you get lucky for it to work) and sd cards.

So my understanding is that we will have to wait for the public i pad 2 jailbreak to come out before we can take advantage of this feature. I also don't like the idea of keeping track of all these dongles. stupid 30pin connector

PS. im a complete noob so i hope someone will correct me if im wrong

Thanks, I am a complete noob too. Well I am letting go of the external hard drive idea. I am not jail breaking my Ipad 2. If Apple doesn't want me to use my external videos etc., that's ok, I still have my pc. If Apple wants to win people over they need to open up a little. Not like a whore, but stop being a virgin. :) How are they going to convince people to drop their PCs altogether? They are going in the right direction with Ipad and Iphone, they just need to understand there are pc users too. Oh well.

mx1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1st, if Apple gives us what we want right out of the box, why would we come back for more?

2nd, I can't remember where, but I read that if you place all your video in the DCIM folder on a thum drive that you can use the camera kit to pull it to the ipad. I will look again to see if I can find the source.

here is a link IPad Camera Connection Kit Connects Other Things, Too - PCWorld
Tim

Last edited:

Chriztofor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1st, if Apple gives us what we want right out of the box, why would we come back for more?

2nd, I can't remember where, but I read that if you place all your video in the DCIM folder on a thum drive that you can use the camera kit to pull it to the ipad. I will look again to see if I can find the source.

here is a link IPad Camera Connection Kit Connects Other Things, Too - PCWorld
Tim

1) We come back for more because we see apple products that work effortlessly. ie: pc laptop breaks maybe I will look into a mac pro because I love my i-phone.

2) Thanks for the link, but even that author states, "None of this functionality is officially supported--at least not yet--so caveat emptor if you're thinking of buying the Kit just to get one or more of these features."

I don't get it, i-movie is Apple's idea! They should make it work effortlessly with other video sources. I would never even thought about i-movie if jobs wasn't showing it off. Great idea, horrible execution.

fmmrz5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple is a marketing machine. At time I wish they would dial down the intensity. I feel like every move they make is to ensure their customers stick with apple products, I just want more options.

Chriztofor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This poor bastard has a mac and wants to edit videos on the road with his ipad 2 and he is having problems with the Ipad 2 and the camera connection kit. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQWUzeG4qxo[/ame]

Last edited:

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's the camera kit

It works fine but remember that it is not powered so if your external device needs power (like a CF card reder) that will not work.

Most reactions

Latest posts