What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uploading files to iPad for Excel

Expatriate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just installed Excel for iPad on my Air. I want to upload XLSX files from my PC (W10) to read on the iPad.
How do I do that?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have an Office 365 account, move the Windows files to OneDrive. Make sure you are signed into the same account in Excel on the iPad, and you will be able to see and edit those files there as well. This is the most convinient solution if you want to keep the files up-to-date on both devices.

Other possible cloud solution include DropBox, Box, and a few others. Not quite as convinient as OndDrive, but still fairly easy.

iCloud Drive is usable, but poorly supported on Windows. It's better on a Mac, but not as well integrated with the Office apps as One Drive.

If it is only a few files, you can email them to yourself, tap hold the file/attachment in the email on the iPad for options to copy the file to Excel. Of course, files will not automatically update.

There are file-managment-like apps that you can use to transfer files between the iPad and any computer that has a web browser (when on the same network). It's doable, but always a two step process, because you must pass all files through the file app; copy to/from the computer then to/from the Office app. I've used GoodReader to do this, though it's not specifically designed for this task.

Documents by Readle also has a wi-fi drive feature that works through a web browser. You can view, but not edit, most Word formats in the Document's app. It also acts as a Docuemtn Provider, so you can bypass the two-step copy processes mentioned above. You can open files directly in Document's folders. I'm pretty sure, but not certain, that you need iCloud Drive on to do this.

You can also use the iTunes File Sharing feature of iTunes on the comptuer. It's inconvineint, but works. Again, files won't update accross devices. About File Sharing on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

As far as the document format is concerned, the Office documents will ask you if want to convert to the most recent format when opened. As far as I can tell, you have to do this to edit the documents; but not view them.

I don't use the Office apps a lot, so I may be wrong with a few of these details. I did some quick checks as I wrote the post, but didn't dig into the details.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oh yes, you can get a free Office 365 account that will unlock the majority of features for Word, Excel, and Power Point on 9.7 inch iPads (including the Air 2). You need a full paid account to unlock Office apps on the 12.9 inch iPad Pro.

You have to get the free account through Microsoft's site. You'll only be offered paid subscriptions through the app (from what I've seen).

OP
Expatriate

Expatriate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Getting the file from oneDrive into the iPad shows it being downloaded. Is it now resident on the iPad? That is (which is what I want) can I access the file in the iPad without being internet connected?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad will have to be connected at least long enough for the file to sync.

Files recently opend on the iPad are normally available offline. In my experience everthing towards the top of the Recent tab (the clock icon) can be opened offline.

To force a file to stay local on the iPad use the OneDrive app (from the App Store).

In the app, tap and hold on a file to enter Select mode, then select the files you want to stay synced.
Tap the parachute icon at the top right.

You can tell a file is set to stay local by the small hard to see parachute icon next to the file name.

When I first got OneDrive, this feature was broken. I believe it has been fixed, but it wouldn't hurt to test it out a bit to make sure it really is fixed. You can switch AirPlane mode on/off in Settings and see what happens.

You'll need to open the OneDrive app and/or Excell every now and then so the files get a chance to sync. (While you have an internet connection, of coures).

IMG_2061-2.jpeg

Most reactions

Latest posts