What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unable to use Dropbox on iPad anymore

Landyman130

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use DB on Windows, Andriod and iOS. All work as expected, but recently my iPad is not working.

When I tap the DB icon, the screen flashes white for a fraction of a second and then returns to the icons display. Pressing the button twice quickly, I can see the apps in the background, including DB. Looking closely, I can see that it's on < Settings - Help, with a list on the left with the 3rd option - How do I view files offline, in highlight. The right panel has an open box image with 'Unable to view page' then 'No Internet connection.

Selecting the DB icon displays the page in full, but instantly closes and displays all the icons. There is an internet connection as other apps are accessing the internet, via my wi-fi.

Using my iPhone 5c, via the same wi-fi, at the same time, to display the same page; it is working OK.

The wi-fi is my broadband mobile Mi-Fi on the UK 3 network.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have not done so yet give these usual fixes a try.

------------------------------
The Usual Fixes
------------------------------

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app:

iOS 6: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app.

iOS 7 & 8: Double tap the Home button to get the multitasking display. Swipe up on the problem app's thumbnail image (not the icon).

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

More detailed information at: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3281?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

OP
L

Landyman130

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks for the detailed reply.

Close/Clear the app: done that many times, with the same result.

Restart: thanks how I close the iPad every day, with the same result.

Reset: done this twice, with the same result.

I then followed the link and downloaded the 12.0.1 update to iTunes on my Windows 7 Pro 64bit computer. As advised I turned off the iPad, connected via USB and iTunes eventually ran, installing a driver for the iPad.

The small panel, as indicated on the webpage appeared, with two options continue and restore the iPad to factory status and reinstall all apps and data or cancel. I selected cancel as the full screen gave an option to retain data etc. But clicking on cancel, in the small panel, lost the full screen, which changed to selling music.

A big waste of time. So I removed the USB cable and held down the home button and up came the same display on iTunes. See below:-

Capture.JPG

Previously, I had clicked on 'Cancel' in the small panel, expecting to click 'Update' in the main screen. Clicking 'Restore' this time gave the option to update iOS to 8.1.3.

Then a 4 hour download was indicated. I've heard that going from iOS 7 to 8 causes problems, so I pulled the plug.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The DropBox app should have nothing to do with the iTunes install are the drivers on your Windows computer. Not for the iPad half, anyway. I probably should have deleted that link, which was simply the source of my advice, not meant to be a further recommendation for this specific problem.

So, my second suggestions is to delete the DropBox app from your iPad and reinstall it from the App Store (on the iPad). No reason to involve your computer in this, at least not unless it becomes necessary to do the update and clean restore; which it shouldn't for this problem.

If that does not fix it take a look at their support site and see if anyone else has mentioned any issues and possible fixes. I'm guessing from your comment that the iPad is on iOS 7. That shouldn't be a problem for the DropBox app, but it wouldn't hurt to pay particular complaints about iOS 7 vs DropBox.

OP
L

Landyman130

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, my second suggestions is to delete the DropBox app from your iPad and reinstall it from the App Store (on the iPad).

This is what I did last night. Then this morning logged in to DB and all is now OK. I guess that DB on the iPad was unstable.

Thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts