What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two Ipads one account

lobsters15

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife and I each have our own Ipads but share the same Itunes account so we do not have to pay for apps twice. Each Ipad has different photographs and music. I don't think I can backup each Ipad separately to Icloud or can I? Can I back up each Ipad to Itunes separately to so each could be restored in the event of any problem?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Each device gets a separate iCloud backup:

image-3395513407.jpg

If you use iTunes on your computer, it will differentiate between the devices as well.

It's possible to create a different iCloud account on one of the iPads, so the photos are backed up separately. Delete the iCloud accont on one device and set up a new account.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Even if you use the same iCloud account for both iPads it will know they are different and create different backups. It is essential to have given them different names under Settings > General > About > Name; so that you can tell which backup is for which iPad.

However, since Apple only gives you 5GB of free iCloud space, you may want to follow Johanna's advice and have a separate iCloud account for each iPad. I back up both my iPhone and iPad under the same iCloud account, and while I've never exceeded the 5GB limit, I have come close. Not an issue for me, since I actually have more than 5GB of iCloud data (a combination of legacy and cheap upgraded deals I lucked into), but it might be a problem for you if you keep a lot of apps and data on the iPads.

Just to be clear, it is possible to have different iTunes and iCloud accounts on the same iPad; so you can keep sharing apps and music but differentiate your storage space, email, calendars, contacts, and other iCloud services.

Most reactions

Latest posts