1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

traveling in Spain

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Maria85, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Maria85

Maria85 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm a newbie to the site and my ipad2, so I'll apologize up front for using incorrect terminology...
    I'll be taking my Ipad 2, wi-fi and 3G to Spain next week it's.
    I plan to activate the 3G so I can use it in Spain, but have no clue how to go about it.My plan is through AT&T.
    I know they have an international plan, but someone told me to get a sims card ??? when I get there through Venephone.
    If I go through AT&T with the international plan will I be able to use it freely in SPain and the south of France?
    Would I get better coverage buying a SIM card , or whatever it's called in Spain?
    Any input is appreciated. - Thanks
  2. mander1212

mander1212 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I recently returned from Spain and relied on Wi-Fi the whole a time I was there and had no trouble. Of course I limited my use to when we were in the hotels. We were in Spain, Italy and Greece (not France) and Wi-Fi worked well. Of all the places we were in, it seemed as though Spain had Wi-Fi in most places. There is an app that helps you locate Wi-Fi hotspots if you are out of the hotel.
  3. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    Your international plan with AT&T will work fine in Spain but the only problem is going to be the cost. Because AT&T is a US network and you would be using your AT&T SIM card in Spain AT&T will charge you for 'roaming' - i.e. operating on another operator's network. It will work out very expensive.

As you suggested, you can purchase a SIM for your iPad when you get to Spain at any one of a wide variety of mobile 'phone shops. For the iPad you need a microSIM, but they should be familiar with that. If you purchase a microSIM you'll be on a pre-pay tariff and it will work out very much cheaper than roaming.

Here is a list of the Spanish operators and their coverage areas plus links to their websites. You might want to check out whether there is good coverage in the areas you plan to visit and choose an operator appropriately.

GSM Coverage Maps | Spain

However, as the previous poster pointed out, WiFi is very widely available - in hotels, bars, shopping malls, restaurants, some public transport, airports, coffee shops, etc - much of it free or, if not, very reasonably priced.

Tim
  4. Maria85

Maria85 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks so much for the input - I may just rely on the wi-hi.-Maria