What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Travel Printer wifi

cliosf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad with the Print N Share app works fine to my big ol' laser desktop printer. But I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive PORTABLE (fits in carry on) wifi to replace my Canon PixMa i90. I THINK the iP100 might work, but it's unclear (to me, anyway) whether that one works wifi or Bluetooth.

I think it's bluetooth. Anyone know? Anyone tried this one?

Thanks!!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This printer comes, as standard, with IrDA (infra red) wireless printing and has an optional Bluetooth 'dongle'. Neither interface is compatible with the iPad, which requires a WiFi interface. Additionally, if you're going to be 'on the road' with a portable printer you'll need something to assign the IP addresses of the devices, such as a wireless router (it doesn't have to be connected to the Internet). Most Members have been using Apple's Airport Express because it's so small.

Tim

OP
C

cliosf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for clarifying. So simple: iPad requires WiFi; Canon printer doesn't have WiFi capability.

Both companies obfuscate, instead.

You saved me from making a bad purchase decision. Thanks for the Airport info -- as it happens, I do have an Airport Express laying around. If I find a portable (Travel) wifi printer, I'll post back here.

:) Thanks again.

ClioSF

OP
C

cliosf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WiFi almost small enough....

Decided to buy a small-ish Brother printer. It's 15 lbs, but has a relatively small footprint. (On sale for $70). It's an all-in-one, so I will have to be mindful of the glass deck. Should fit into my carry-on, although I'll probably have to stuff my socks into the paper tray to save room.....

priyamurti

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI - i found this thread and hope it is what i am looking for although it is a bit dated now. I am trying to connect my ipad with my HP deskjet 470, a nice little travel printer that has bluetooth and a wifi symbol at the back that i can't figure out what it is doing. This threat says that i can use apple airport express, plug it into the printer with usb and wow - the ipad will see the printer through wifi anywhere i am? because basically i want the ipad to be able to print anywhere because i travel a lot. do i understand correctly?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
HI - i found this thread and hope it is what i am looking for although it is a bit dated now. I am trying to connect my ipad with my HP deskjet 470, a nice little travel printer that has bluetooth and a wifi symbol at the back that i can't figure out what it is doing. This threat says that i can use apple airport express, plug it into the printer with usb and wow - the ipad will see the printer through wifi anywhere i am? because basically i want the ipad to be able to print anywhere because i travel a lot. do i understand correctly?

Your iPad and the AirPrint enabled printer have to be on the Same WiFi network for it to work. Youncouldn'tvsend print jobs home to your printer while traveling, for example.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
priyamurti said:

I have heard that you can put some printers into Ad Hoc mode for direct iPad to printer printing. I guess it depends on the model. have a look at your printer manual and see what it has on Ad Hoc mode for wifi.

EDIT: a quick bit of googling, and I could not find that model on HPs website, the closest was the 460 series. Checked a AirPrint compatible list, and I could not see it on there either. If it is not AirPrint compatible, then you are toast for seamless printing. You may need to look into the HP apps available that can help you connect to non AirPrint compatible HP printers.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts