This ebook thing is expensive!!!

Discussion in 'iBooks' started by Finnedog, Dec 8, 2010.

1. davidhburton

davidhburton
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Kobo's good, but I tend to stick with Amazon and sometimes Smashwords for my purchases. I like the fact that Kindle is available for a lot of platforms.

2. Aldo

Aldo
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    yeah i like amazon so i can read it on my android phone if im out on the train etc.

I bought no angel from amazon at a £1 ($1.5) where as itunes was £6 ($9.2)

The free 12 days app is a little disappointing at the moment with one book that was free anyway

3. marchold

marchold
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    The key is to buy just a few really good books.

4. Iagosbud

Iagosbud
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Being brand new to all of this. Just got the IPad on Dec. 29.
    Some questions and observations.....
    1. Why can't I buy directly from publishers? Or can I?
    2. Why when I buy the hard copy of a book do I not get an electronic version as well?
    (When I buy a DVD I can receive up to 4 versions of the same movie (BluRay, 3D, reg, and an electronic download) all for ~$20-$30...
    3. Why when I buy more than 1 e-book from Kobo... Do I have to pay for them all separately?
    4. Like others have said... These things are expensive and in my opinion if the publishers and book sellers don't find easier and cheaper ways to make the content available they just might drive people away from electronic books.....

And one more thing I discovered.... Don't switch off night reading while you are reading your iPad in the dark...:D

5. Aldo

Aldo
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I see Amazon in the US is trialling/doing a 14 day lend a book to friends and family, I think this is a cracking idea but sadly not for authors and businesses

6. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    There are several other ereaders besides iBooks that do allow you to purchase directly from some smaller publishers or companies that work primarily with self-published authors.

Stanza has direct access to SmashWords which is one of the major self-publishing houses as well as Random House and Harlequin to name just a few.

Another free app called WattPad is another place for self-published works claiming to have over 100,000 titles for free!

I have never heard of this being done by any of the book sellers or publishers that I use on a regular basis.

I believe with Kobo you can keep adding items to your shopping cart and pay for them all at once.

Actually, little Borders is preparing to buy giant Barnes & Noble. Both of these sellers are experiencing a significant decline in their "ink on paper" sales.

7. peled

peled
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I think that in the Long run, the Book publication (paper) will die.
    Same as the record market for songs.
    The MP3 killed the Record companies.
    The ePUB will eventually kill the Printed book industry.

I personally used to go into a used book store every other month to look and buy books.
    ( I have a nice eXcel list).

Well . I don't go there any more. I the last 2 month I added 63 ePUB books ( All Top Best sallers) .
    It was not from the iStore nether from Amazon...

8. epb

epb
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I disagree - this philosophy is better applied to books bought in print. My print, permanent collection are my favorite books and some classics (I semi-collect Heritage editions). For pop fiction, I buy the electronic version.

9. carrigo

carrigo
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    i do it pretty much the same way, but it still gets expensive at times :confused:

10. Gen from Oz

Gen from Oz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have not bought any books from the apple store -too few and too expensive! Amazon much better priced and choice. If apple block them i'll move to kindle for ebooks for sure. I don't understand why such an amazing product (iPad) can fail to deliver on books...