What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Synchronising iPad with Windows 7 PC

jcaswell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to be able to automatically copy and maintain some files from my Windows 7 PC to my iPad 2, and automatically update the files on the iPad when they are changed on my PC. What is key is that the files must be copied to the iPad as I want to be able to access them while offline.

Something like Dropbox of Skydrive or SugarSync will get them from the PC to the cloud automatically, but following experiments, it seems that they will not automatically load documents onto the iPad from the cloud. What I would like to have happen is, when the IPad is connected wirelessly, it automatically updates its storage from the cloud without me having to do anything. So I can be working on my PC at home, updating and creating documents, with the iPad connect wirelessly. I can then merely pick up the iPad and take it with me, knowing that it is synchronised with the PC, and if I need to use it to look at documents while offline, I can do so.

I would also like to be able to create and update Word documents on the iPad while offline, and have them re-synchronise with the cloud (and PC) when I reconnect wirelessly. I know that I can do the PC end - can anyone recommend the set of applications (on PC and iPad) that will allow me to do what I want.

Otherwise it looks like a Windows 8 tablet and Skydrive

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't think you can get "autosync" in the background on an iPad. You can sync on demand once an app is open, but it cannot run in the background 24/7 as a service, like you can do on Windows. I suggest you look at Win8 tablet as this requires a real PC/MAC with a "real" OS. Dropbox and ilk do real-time syncing on a PC/MAC - in the background - as long as the computer is "awake" and when not, they sync immediately upon waking. They cannot sync when offline, obviously.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Actually, the new background update service in iOS 7 can update content in the background; however it has to be enabled by the developer and I don't know what apps have or have not done this. PDF Expert is the only one that I'm sure of, having just upgraded to the newest version and reading the notes. I have no idea how well it works.

However, background updates happen whenever iOS decides they are convenient, not whenever something has been changed. That may not be good enough for your needs.

To be absolutely sure, you're going to have to use an app that syncs with offline content, and perform periodic manual syncs while online. Another words, make a working habit of it. Both Box and DropBox can favorite files (and folder in Box's case) so that they are available offline. These two services are very popular, and many other apps like PDF Expert, GoodReader, and some of the Office Compatible apps will let you keep synced folders with them.

So, for now, pick your apps with a good cloud service sync option and make a habit of syncing, say at the beginning of the work day. Eventually the background sync feature may be ubiquitous and reliable enough to depend on; but I wouldn't place any business critical content at its mercy just yet.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually, the new background update service in iOS 7 can update content in the background; however it has to be enabled by the developer and I don't know what apps have or have not done this. PDF Expert is the only one that I'm sure of, having just upgraded to the newest version and reading the notes. I have no idea how well it works. However, background updates happen whenever iOS decides they are convenient, not whenever something has been changed. That may not be good enough for your needs. To be absolutely sure, you're going to have to use an app that syncs with offline content, and perform periodic manual syncs while online. Another words, make a working habit of it. Both Box and DropBox can favorite files (and folder in Box's case) so that they are available offline. These two services are very popular, and many other apps like PDF Expert, GoodReader, and some of the Office Compatible apps will let you keep synced folders with them. So, for now, pick your apps with a good cloud service sync option and make a habit of syncing, say at the beginning of the work day. Eventually the background sync feature may be ubiquitous and reliable enough to depend on; but I wouldn't place any business critical content at its mercy just yet.

Interesting.....

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks. That's a good article.

I really need to find a newer article that digs into the feature; how, and how well it works, now that everyone has it and it can be tested.

Most reactions

Latest posts