What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sync doesn't work- Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNFL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HeyGuys,

When i connect my iPad2 to my computer, and open itunes, it is verified. I click on it from the Devices list, and sync it.
BUT, non of the newly added Apps or Books gets transferred to the iPad. Knowing that they are checked in iTunes.

Nothing is synchronized
:( the apps checked in itunes are different from the ones available on the ipad!
this doesn't happen on my iphone, just on my ipad...

Have this been a common issue with anyone?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've never heard of this.

Normally with sync issues I'd recommend you turn it off, let the content be removed, then turn it on to sync again: But this is a recipe for disaster with apps.

One fairly harmless thing you can try is to do a Transfer Purchases. This might reset the sync. Right click on you iPad under the Devices list and choose Transfer Purchases.

If that does not work, A few questions.

Are you running the most recent version of iTunes on the computer?

What iOS version are you running (and are you jailbroken)?

OP
MNFL

MNFL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never heard of this.

Normally with sync issues I'd recommend you turn it off, let the content be removed, then turn it on to sync again: But this is a recipe for disaster with apps.

One fairly harmless thing you can try is to do a Transfer Purchases. This might reset the sync. Right click on you iPad under the Devices list and choose Transfer Purchases.

If that does not work, A few questions.

Are you running the most recent version of iTunes on the computer?

What iOS version are you running (and are you jailbroken)?

ok, so i tried Transferring Purchases... a somewhat of a progress, but the issue persists:
some ebooks got transferred from the iPad to the laptop, and some song got transferred from the laptop to the iPad.
But, the extra ebooks on the laptop that aren't on th iPad weren't transferred to the iPad (i have selected All Books in the books tab)
and, the Apps didn't not sync at all! the Apps present on my iPad are different from the ones i have checked on my laptop in itunes. moreover, i have downloaded extra apps on the iPad, but they weren't transferred to itunes.
This is frustrating... :/

yes, most recent version of itunes. im running on IOS 5.1.1 on a jailbroken iPad 2.

Note: i have an iPhone4S, and this doesn't not happen with it. it all syncs perfectly, unlike my iPad :/

Last edited:
OP
MNFL

MNFL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
UPDATE: the issue was resolved with everything (ibooks, music), but is still there with the Apps. Apps aren't synchronizing properly, same issue as mentioned above. Could there be some special settings for this thing? (both sync Apps and Automatically Sync New Apps are enabled under the Apps tab)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, just throwing out guesses now.

Can you see and download the missing apps in the App Store on the iPad? Check under the Purchased tab. Same thing on the iTunes store for the computer. Can you see the apps that are missing from it under Purchased?

If not, make sure both the iTunes store on the computer and the iPad are logged into the same Apple ID. Log out and in on the iPad in the App Store (bottom of the Featured tab). In iTunes on the computer it should show up at the top right. Same thing, make sure it's the same, try logging out and in.

You do use the same Apple ID on both the iPhone and iPad, yes?

One last thought. There are some apps for the iPhone that are not compatible with the iPad, and vice-versa. Those apps will not sync to the incompatible device no matter what you try. Same thing if the apps are not compatible with the iOS version on those devices. Check the descriptions of those apps in the App Store to be sure.

Maybe that should have been a first though. Too late now.

Last edited:
OP
MNFL

MNFL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You do use the same Apple ID on both the iPhone and iPad, yes?

One last thought. There are some apps for the iPhone that are not compatible with the iPad, and vice-versa. Those apps will not sync to the incompatible device no matter what you try. Same thing if the apps are not compatible with the iOS version on those devices. Check the descriptions of those apps in the App Store to be sure.

Maybe that should have been a first though. Too late now.

yup, same ID.

well yea, but i dont think that's my issue after revising the apps. plus, some downloaded apps on the ipad don't get synced to itunes, so that would be a different issue, right?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
MNFL said:
yup, same ID.

well yea, but i dont think that's my issue after revising the apps. plus, some downloaded apps on the ipad don't get synced to itunes, so that would be a different issue, right?

Most likely.

I'm afraid I am out of ideas. Sorry.

amicipat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This sounds similar to the problems I am having, and I have recented posted 'a really silly question'. I felt it was to do with the syncing of 3 gadgets and which one is done 'first' for instance if I add something to my i phone and sync this via the cloud it does not always go to i tunes and i pad because I have synced i pad to i tunes in the meantime if you get what I mean? and the 'first' sync is overridden because it is not on i pad and i tunes?

OP
MNFL

MNFL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most likely.

I'm afraid I am out of ideas. Sorry.

is there a way to restart the sync? (as if its a new ipad connected) <-- without having to restore the ipad though, just the sync data

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
umm, i download my Apps using a piracy-enabling tweak but i've been doing this for years, and this have only happened now..

I missed this earlier.

I can offer you no more help. Piracy is a forbidden subject on this forum. You need to read the rules.

I'm also personally against it, and I don't accept any of the popular excuses.

Expect the admins to close the thread shortly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts