What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swype Comes To iOS With iSwype Beta Cydia Tweak For iPhone, iPod Touch, And iPad?

PhilSynowiec

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJeRm2WWF2k]YouTube - ‪Swype Comes To iOS With iSwype Beta Cydia Tweak For iPhone & iPod Touch - iOS Vlog 489‬‏[/ame]​

Swype is a popular typing method on the Android platform that allows you to type on your keyboard without having to lift your finger as often. This feature has been ported to iOS and is currently in Beta as a Cydia Tweak. The iSwipe beta works fairly well, you can at least get an image of what it can look like in it's final form. You simply slide to the letters in the word you are spelling instead of tapping all the letters. A blue line will follow your finger to make it a bit easier, it helps a lot. The beta is currently free within the developers repo below, but I wouldn't keep it on your device for long, after more testing, it interferes with a lot of typing.

Developer's Repo:
http://wynd.x10.mx

SaberOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It appeared that about 85-percent of the words were wrong so I'll pass on the download. However, if iOS5 integration makes it work, then great!

KronicKaos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know if the OP knows this, but this isn't an actual Swype release and the app in questions is currently under an investigation as being a possible "hacked" version of the real swype.

Quote from Brian Resnik;
The first thing we want to make clear is that this version released via Cydia is not in any way an official Swype product, or related to Swype Inc. in any way. It appears this developer wrote some of his own code to emulate a Swype-like experience and is using our brand. We don’t know if this is a ‘hacked’ version of Swype or not. I’m thinking not. We are still investigating, but either way, this is not an official release or port of Swype to iOS. Additionally, since we weren't involved with the development of this application, we can not vouch for the integrity of the software. From a consumer's perspective, we recommend researching the developer on your own to ensure the trustworthiness of this application from a security standpoint.

Our legal counsel is advising us on the best course of action regarding this 'hacked' release. We'll continue to follow the situation and do whatever our management team determines is appropriate to protect our intellectual property. We're not looking to prove a point or anything like that. Frankly, as our CEO mentioned in an interview with GeekWire on the topic, the clear interest demonstrated by this release from iOS users in having Swype is exciting. But we do still need to protect our brand if it turns out that some of our code, our patents, are being used.

Also, people are already saying "this proves that you can get Swype on iOS, even if it's through Cydia, right?" Well, not really. Yes, you can get "tracing" to work via some serious hacking (and even then it only works on jailbroken phones, and in stock iOS applications), but there are other really important elements to Swype. For example, word replacement and editing. With Swype, we know that the prediction engine won't get it right 100% of the time. Most of the time, absolutely, but there will always be a mistake once in a while. The nice thing about Swype is that when that happens you can quickly pull up a list of alternative suggestions - in the new v3.0, they're automatically shown whenever you swipe a word or tap on a previously entered word. When you pick an alternative suggestion, Swype replaces the previously typed word with the new one. Without keyboard APIs, we have no way of interacting with the text field in those kinds of ways. Sure, you can get basic character entry to work, but to get the full Swype experience we absolutely require certain features to be implemented by Apple themselves.

And from Swype's CEO:

Quote from Mike McSherry;
I am a strong supporter of the hacker/developer community. I value the need for customization and personal touch and I am always intrigued to see interest in that regard. There have been developers on Android that have developed different types of addons to Swype which have made an interesting repertoire of changes to our product. But, if something is developed that emulates Swype and reflects poorly the brand, then it is in my interest to ensure that there is no tie between the official Swype product and what has been displayed. And of course, if our intellectual property is violated (code, patents, brand), then we will need to take some legal route.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is Phil we're talking about here, of course he knows it's not an official release! Haha

gcsimpson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No way this thing is hacked. It is too goofy.

Her it what swipe lookslik whe used a advertised.
Above should say "here is what iswipe should look like when used as advertised"

If you know the tricks to make it work right, then it will do ok.Probably not worth the extra time and effort it takes to make it come out right but, being a droider, I'm addicted.

After a punctuation you have to skip two spaces or it will back up to the punctuation.Like this.
Skip a line to make a new paragraph and it will back it up to the previous line like this.

I very nicely shows your current and last word spaced but if you fail to tap the space bar every time you type a word, it throws the words back together likethis just did.

It will rarely get it right when ashore (had to separately type out "a short") word such as a, an, it is used and will join it to the next word. So that, for instance, "is used" comes out "issued"
a word=word or award
It is= itits
Sobe ready to type out any one or two letter word and the word following.

As many times as we type the word "to" it always wants too use the word "too"

Nevertheless, it's better than it started out and its going to get better still.

Most reactions

Latest posts