What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestions for G'Ma :)

CLockett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to purchase a 12.9" iPad Pro 256GB.

I have a desktop, so don't need for work functions, etc. but will be using it for Facetime (I know... silly, but I have my first grandchild in another state!), surfing web, various games and Netflix/Amazon viewing while on the road.

The cost is a bit daunting, however; I recognize there are different "versions" and refurbished options on Amazon that may fit my price point much easier.

Is the newest and greatest version really worth a couple of hundred dollars more?
Has anyone bought refurbished and what are your thoughts?

Thank You In Advance All :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I would like to purchase a 12.9" iPad Pro 256GB.

I have a desktop, so don't need for work functions, etc. but will be using it for Facetime (I know... silly, but I have my first grandchild in another state!), surfing web, various games and Netflix/Amazon viewing while on the road.

The cost is a bit daunting, however; I recognize there are different "versions" and refurbished options on Amazon that may fit my price point much easier.

Is the newest and greatest version really worth a couple of hundred dollars more?
Has anyone bought refurbished and what are your thoughts?
l

Hello Clockett - welcome to the forum! :) I'm assuming that this will be your first iPad? If so, you're going for the 'top of the line' and indeed at a steep price if new. I'm on my second iPad, an Air 2 w/ a 9.7" retina display, 64 GB storage, and 3+ years old w/ a 'dying' battery - I need a new one, and am looking at a first generation Wi-Fi only 9.7" Pro w/ 128 GB storage refurb on Apple's Refurb Site - just $529 there - has a 1-year warranty and AppleCare can be added - this is in contrast to a new Wi-Fi/Cellular 12.9" Pro w/ 256 GB storage at $1,079 (another $100 w/ Apple Care), basically twice the price.

For the needs that you describe, the large format Pro w/ that much storage is probably 'overkill' for you - if not already done, visit an Apple store (or similar place w/ iPads) and look at the sizes - a 9.7" or 10.5" device likely will fit your needs and going w/ lesser storage will save money - of course, unless you're going to upload a TON of music, movies, and videos - let me stop there for you to respond as to your budget and whether you have needs for a LOT to storage on the device. Dave

ADDENDUM: This will be my first refurb, but my son an IT guy, routinely buys refurbs for his wife and him; also, there are plenty of members in the forum that go the Apple refurb route - the devices look new and have a fresh battery, among likely other repairs if needed.
iPadProRefurb.png
iPadProNew.png

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow those are some expensive iPads. I got my mini 2 brand new never used for $269 almost a year ago from Walmart.

OP
CLockett

CLockett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am here! I am here! I got caught in the Real World Craziness :)

I like the idea of refurb and lower GB choice to help with cost for sure. I am thinking the 12.9" based on my travels and the frequency when in hotels, etc. to stream movies and gaming options.

I'll readjust my thoughts towards a 128GB with 12.9" and by chance see if anything released in 2016 compared to 2015 as currently listed as options.

Thank you for the link, I do appreciate your help!

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I personally think that big screen iPads kinda defeat the perpose of traveling or moving around. I find my mini 2 although it’s getting old is the perfect size.

Most reactions

Latest posts