What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storage

emilyhcurtis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 16GB iPad for my son. We have realized it to be nothing more than a nuisance when it comes to storage. If someone can explain this to me that would be great. It seems he can barely have but a movie and 4 or 5 apps. Complete waste of my money.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 283

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have a 16GB iPad for my son. We have realized it to be nothing more than a nuisance when it comes to storage. If someone can explain this to me that would be great. It seems he can barely have but a movie and 4 or 5 apps. Complete waste of my money.

I dont think this should fill up your 16 GB. A bit more than 10 GB should be free. What problems are you experiencing?

Kricke

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I dont think this should fill up your 16 GB. A bit more than 10 GB should be free. What problems are you experiencing?

I agree.
Do you see what the iPad indicates? Used versus free.
I think this is a problem, and it would be a problem for me as well.
So, the question could be, what data uses all the space? As far as I can see from the screenshot, there is no explanation.

Knut

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just do one thing. Connect the iPad to your PC and then open iTunes. After it detects the iPad, it shows what categories occupy what amount of memory in a bar at the bottom. That bar might help.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) This has been a topic of discussion in this forum & elsewhere (e.g. HERE) - I would first suggest if not already tried that you 'Reset' the iPad (directions below and also given in the link). Good luck - Dave

Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that this maneuver will NOT alter your apps, files, or settings.

OP
E

emilyhcurtis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just tried everything suggested

I just reset and took another screenshot. Still the same. Check the photo I attached.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 267
OP
E

emilyhcurtis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mind you, I also have no photos, and it says I have 470 something in MBs used in this category. No idea why I can't have anymore than 5 or so apps and 1 movie.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just reset and took another screenshot. Still the same. Check the photo I attached.

Mind you, I also have no photos, and it says I have 470 something in MBs used in this category. No idea why I can't have anymore than 5 or so apps and 1 movie.

Next to each app in your screen shot, just to the right of where the GB/MB size is, there is a small right facing arrow, touch this and it should give you a slightly more detailed description of how those figures are made up.....it may or may not help but it might point to the reason why you are running out of disk space.

The Archangel

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If your iPad is synced to a computer I would consider syncing with that computer to see if that changes the available capacity, it certainly worked for me recently in increasing the available space (I think I may have actually sync'd it twice in succession).

The Archangel

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If your iPad is synced to a computer I would consider syncing with that computer to see if that changes the available capacity, it certainly worked for me recently in increasing the available space (I think I may have actually sync'd it twice in succession).

Hi again George - sorry that the 'Reset' did not work for you - I agree w/ Gabriel above, i.e. if you have been syncing to a computer, give that a try - also in iTunes, your storage will be shown as a bar graph (just hooked up my iPad and a screen capture is attached) - this might be different from what the device is reporting and that 'Other' category can be mysterious at times - please post back your results (P.S. be careful 'how' you sync settings are setup - I like to manage my stuff manually) - good luck! Dave :)

Screen Shot 2013-09-28 at 5.31.24 PM.png

Most reactions

Latest posts