What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Still worth buying?

GunslingerCM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently joined this forum because I wanted to find out from some users if u thought it would still be a smart move to buy an ipad 1? I know that they're not being updated anymore and have slower processors and are non retina but its not like its an old black and white tv. And if I jailbreak it then updates won't matter as much so what do u all recommend? They are all over eBay and other sites for really good prices so let me know what u think. Oh, they can be jail broken right? Thanks for any insight u may have.

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I still use my iPad 1 for watching tv on my Slingplayer,streaming Netflix,Skype,and Internet use with no issues.
I don't jailbreak.
Also have an iPad 3 wifi and iPad 4 32 4g LTE with AT&T $30/mo. grandpa unlimited.

Last edited:
OP
GunslingerCM

GunslingerCM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So based on your experience would u buy a used iPad 1 today or pay a little more for a 2 or 3? Is there a major difference? I'm just gonna surf on it and YouTube or Netflix. Track fantasy football on it, Facebook, that kind of stuff. What do u think? Most of them r under 200 so is that worth it?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The disadvantages of iPad 1 now:

Limited RAM (new iPads have four times as much).

No ability to get the latest firmware.

Why you should care:

Limited RAM can lead to repeated crashes, depending on which apps you use.

No latest firmware means you can't load the latest version of some apps.

Right now, Skype and Netflix require iOS 5, which is the highest firmware that iPad 1 can take. It's up to developers how long they offer support for older versions; the later the iPad, the longer support probably will be offered.

Between my husband and me, we owned three iPad 1s, which we've given away. If we hadn't, we'd still use them for limited but diminished uses, like as a photo frame.

I wouldn't buy any iPad 1 now. The lowest I'd go, if budget didn't afford a new model, is iPad 2. At least Apple is still selling them and iPad 2 shares some of the old guts of iPad mini, which is a relatively new device. With iPad 2, there will still be RAM limits, which can lead to crashes. iPad 2 has half the RAM of iPad 3 and 4.

Increasingly, developers are upgrading apps to take advantage of newer hardware -- faster chips, more RAM, retina screen. That will increasingly limit iPad 1's uses and reliability. (I saw decline on iPad 1, which I owned from debut day of the 3G model, as compared to iPad 2 and 4, which I still own.)

By the way, the Facebook app seems to crash a lot, from various reports on the forum, esp on older iPads.

Last edited:
OP
GunslingerCM

GunslingerCM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! That's good info. I think I should at least consider a 2 if not a 3. Thanks again

CAZWICK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I have just this week bought the ipad 1, and to be honest I am very pleased. I know its not retina and does not update but within the hour I had it jailbroken and all is running great. I got a 64g from ebay for under £200 which I think was a good deal. The jailbreak was very easy to do with no problems and I have it themed with Dreamboard.
All in all I would say it is a good move for the price you can get it for.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I have just this week bought the ipad 1, and to be honest I am very pleased. I know its not retina and does not update but within the hour I had it jailbroken and all is running great. I got a 64g from ebay for under £200 which I think was a good deal. The jailbreak was very easy to do with no problems and I have it themed with Dreamboard.
All in all I would say it is a good move for the price you can get it for.

Well, I've got to say: Any iPad is better than no iPad!

OP
GunslingerCM

GunslingerCM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That was my thinking too. Super cheap and can jailbreak it to my own desire. Am worried about apps not being supported for much longer though. Still considering my options.

jpatienza

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have an ipad 3 retina 32GB so no problem. But im enjoying my original ipad that steve jobs himself designed and not by tim cook or whoever. RIP STEVE

Most reactions

Latest posts