What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Split Keyboard For iPad [Concept]

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I kinda like this. It would be great to be able to have a few options, for whatever situation you find yourself in. Saw it and thought I would share. But if a App ever came forth, I doubt Apple would pass it. Your thoughts?

Source: Split Keyboard For iPad [Concept] | Redmond Pie

Due to its large screen size and space, iPad is extremely comfortable to work with in most cases. However, there are times when you feel awkward holding it from one hand, and typing from another in the landscape mode. Your one hand here becomes nothing more than a dock, whereas the other one remains hanging in air – used only for on-screen typing. Not so cool right?.
iPad%20Keyboard%20Concept.jpg

Now a guy named Scott Robbin has come up with a cooler concept. According to his idea:
It seems like the iPad’s keyboard, in landscape mode, leaves you no choice but to hold the device in one hand and hunt-n-peck with the other. What if the keyboard was split into two, and placed in the lower-right and left corners? Then, you could hold it with both hands, and type a la the iPhone.
Here, the only thing that you might have to sacrifice is the key size, but it might be more comfortable and functional. Do you agree with Robbin on this one, or do you have something better in your mind? Thoughts? [via AppAdvice]

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I personally like the current keyboard, but have one BIG gripe about it. I wish the keyboard had up down and side to side navigation arrows. I'm one of those that cant get it right the first time and using my pinky to navigate sure sucks :mad:

KronicKaos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the idea. I notice that if I'm in landscape mode I have to lay down my iPad in order to type anything longer than a few words. Having the split keyboard would definitely make it much easier to hold the iPad and type.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when i type in something is layed flat on the table or in it stand and iam using the desktop keyboard to enter data into the unit ..

Oche

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd prefer it in portrait. But more than anything, I'd love to have the option to turn it on and or download it from the App Store as a system tweak. Doubt it. :|

Gary

CPMS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The first guy/gal that develops the app that does this well will make a lot of dough ...... I'd definitely buy it.

kravdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i use my iPad in landscape almost exclusively... maybe its because that is the aspect ratio I am accustomed to on all other pc/tv devices, but thats just how it feels best to me.

Because of this preference, typing becomes a one-handed hunt&peck experience...This split keyboard design looks awesome...I think the keys could be just a bit bigger, as i the average person can probably reach about 1/3 of the way across the screen with their thumbs in a normal/comfortable holding fashion... just my 2 cents.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i use my iPad in landscape almost exclusively... maybe its because that is the aspect ratio I am accustomed to on all other pc/tv devices, but thats just how it feels best to me.

Because of this preference, typing becomes a one-handed hunt&peck experience...This split keyboard design looks awesome...I think the keys could be just a bit bigger, as i the average person can probably reach about 1/3 of the way across the screen with their thumbs in a normal/comfortable holding fashion... just my 2 cents.

Same here...I turn it to portrait when I read an article or google reader...and thats about it...it is 90% landscape, and I think I have typed in portrait maybe twice.

Dallasfoto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am already beginning a new book on the iPad. Using the keyboard as is. I have found that twonhours on the tap-typing app has gotten me up to 30WPM. Cut yourselves some slack on this new device. I think over time this is gonna be just fine.

OP
T

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am already beginning a new book on the iPad. Using the keyboard as is. I have found that twonhours on the tap-typing app has gotten me up to 30WPM. Cut yourselves some slack on this new device. I think over time this is gonna be just fine.
30 words a minute on one hand? You haz mad skills.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like it could be a winner. Along with increasing the screen view with the keyboards to the side.

Most reactions

Latest posts