What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spelling Auto-correct Question

Darian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Heaviside; I could just turn it off, but as a couple of us said, I rather like the auto correct. I just thought there'd be simple way to add words (like one's name) to its' dictionary.

I'll keep it on, and just hope one day there will be a way for it recognize odd names, words etc.

Darian

zetmatt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have experienced a similar problem when I would type "in", my iPad would autocorrect to "I'n". I don't know how it learned that, but I was able to make it un-learn the wrong word by going into an app where autocorrect functions (just about everywhere), and i typed "in in in in in in in in in in in in" several times, while hitting the little autocorrect "x" that popped up when it was trying to correct me to "I'n". That fixed it.

Just like it can automatically learn new words like my daughter's name, Maggie, it can un-learn any autocorrect word if you hit the little x 10-times or so.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ManualCorrect is a nice Cydia tweak which has really improved things for me.
It changes the default behaviour so you must touch the suggested correction to accept it rather than it being "auto".
Look it up and try it out!

OP
Munky

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I installed it, and it is nice...but could be improved upon. Do you have any idea where the actual dictionary is in the filesystem?

zetmatt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Superbike81 said:
Nothing is ever perfect, but it's for sure a he'll of a lot better than the stock auto-correct.

"he'll"... looks like you got corrected by the iPad autocorrect" ;-)

Blondedaisy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Munky. I understand your frustration as I call most people hun and I always had to go back and change the 'h' to lowercase. This is easily fixed if you go to settings, keyboard, shortcuts: type 'hun' in phrase and 'hun' in shortcut (both lowercase). From now on all your 'huns' will be lowercase! I have an iPhone 5 so I hope it is the same for iPad :)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Munky. I understand your frustration as I call most people hun and I always had to go back and change the 'h' to lowercase. This is easily fixed if you go to settings, keyboard, shortcuts: type 'hun' in phrase and 'hun' in shortcut (both lowercase). From now on all your 'huns' will be lowercase! I have an iPhone 5 so I hope it is the same for iPad :)

Welcome to the forums Blondedaisy.

We very much appreciate your contribution here, and the forums are all about helping folks out.
A word of friendly advice though :)
Before you reply to a thread, it is good practice to check the date when the posts were made. In this case, the questions were started back in October 2010! After 18 months of inactivity it's pretty unlikely that the OP still has the problem, and resurrecting an old dead thread isn't always a good idea ;)
You may also find that problems no longer exist, because they were fixed by Apple, or the issues are completely different now. One of the messages above suggested the original problem was fixed by Apple back in IOS 4.2! :D

But again, don't let that put you off. We really do appreciate you joining in and helping the community.
Have fun!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts