Some iPhone and iPad Users Say iOS 7.1 is Considerably Draining Battery Life

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by RaduTyrsina, Mar 15, 2014.

1. RaduTyrsina

RaduTyrsina
    Expand Collapse
    News Team

Thanks Received:
    ios-7.1-battery-drain-620x480.png

Apple has recently released iOS 7.1 for download and it brought UI changes, CarPlay, Touch ID improvements and also made the software snappier on the iPhone 4. However, not everybody is happy, as several reports on Twitter and Apple’s support discussion forums say that users are seeing significant drain on their batteries after installing the latest iOS version.

The problem seems to be affecting some iPad models, as Ars Technica publication has discovered that battery life was in nearly all cases slightly lower in iOS 7.1 than in iOS 7.0.6. Some iPhone 4S users have been complaining about another issue, apparently related to a broken Wi-Fi connectivity. Have you experienced any similar problems after installing iOS 7.1?

Source: iPhoneForums

2. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I find this strange as my iPad 4 has gained extra battery life...... Maybe I'm lucky.

3. Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Increased my battery life significaly.

4. ardchoille

ardchoille
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    My battery life hasn't decreased at all. Perhaps those people reporting a decreased battery life are experiencing it because 7.1 is still "new" and they're playing with their devices more often?

5. s2mikey

s2mikey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    That's a good theory. Honestly, the battery usage thing has always been a sticky issue. No matter what, anytime there is an OS update you get half the users saying the battery is better and the other half claiming it's worse. Good luck sorting that out! :)

6. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Every new IOS update brings a group of users who have decreased battery life. Every little apparent change in battery life gets someone in an apple forum with a complaint. The problem is, most of these folks are not being objective in measuring battery life, so reporting what they think they notice. But any device with an antenna will see dynamic battery life hits due to changing channel characteristics that occur do the changing conditions. Hence, device characteristics change, meaning battery life can take a hit, from time to time. It's not always going to be the same. Then when an update comes, this effect gets noticed more because people was trying to pay more attention to battery life without any real reliable way to measure battery life.

7. Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Or maybe people forgot that bluetooth is turned on every time a new update comes out. Maybe even more toggles that drain battery life.

8. madhatter61

madhatter61
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Much of media reporting is subjective. My view is that push technology is the key issue. Every advertisement link ... every notification ... every search for location is demanding processor action, thus more use of battery power. Bluetooth also demands energy. If you are not using it, turn it off. Everytime you up load to the cloud, or download, extra power is being demanded. The brighter your screen is the more power is being demanded. Also if you are just typing and are not involved with the internet (turn off wi-fi)

Realize that we all setup our devices differently, thus the reported differences. FWIW

9. tlbaker

tlbaker
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Retina iPad seems to be slow these days, not sure if it is due to the updates.

Sent from my Black 64GB Fifth Generation iPod touch using iPF

10. Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    I agree.