1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Smart Cover and the New iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by jmbarker, Mar 21, 2012.

1. jmbarker

jmbarker iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I was on the phone today with an Apple rep about an entirely different matter and inquired about the current Smart Cover and it's compatibility with the new iPad. I have read somewhere recently, maybe in this forum, that there were issues with the current Smart Cover and it working with the new iPad. Something about polarity of the magnets in the new iPad being reversed compared to the iPad 2. The rep told me there is only one Smart Cover being sold and that it works with both the iPad 2 and the new iPad. She also told me to call Apple if I have problems with one and they would correct the issue.
  2. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +634 / 0
    EDITED - Read further posts for discussion on polarity.

The smart cover works perfectly on both my 2 and 3. I have 2 covers, one old and one new. Both are interchangeable between devices.

Hope that clarifies :)
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  3. Chantelle310

Chantelle310 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Do all cases for the iPad 2 with the new iPad? And the same with screen protectors? Need to get some today
  4. f4780y

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +634 / 0
    Not 100% guaranteed. The iPad3 is ever so slightly thicker than the 2. So if the case has a little bit of give it will fit. My experience is that most "soft" cases (so leather, silicone, gel, etc.) fit well, but you will want to test the "hard" cases. i.e the rigid moulded plastic type ones, since they obviously have less tolerance for the extra thickness of the pad and since these types of cases often clip round the sides it may not be a good fit...
    In other words, if the case is designed to be a very tight fit for an iPad2, it's best to check.
  5. Chantelle310

Chantelle310 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure to double check before I buy. I'm guessing screen protectors are the same size too?
  6. f4780y

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +634 / 0
    Yeah, sorry missed that. Yes, the screen has identical dimensions, so protectors should be fine.
  7. Chantelle310

Chantelle310 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Thanks for the help :)
  8. Jrs22

Jrs22 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Just want to add that many iPad 2 cases fit but the magnetic on-off doesn't always work on the new iPad.
  9. f4780y

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +634 / 0
    Interesting, I haven't experienced that myself. Is it a new smart over or an old one you bought for a 2? Would be interested if anyone else is experiencing this too...
  10. PaulCarleton

PaulCarleton iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I just bought a an apple leather smart cover and the magnets work fine. This wasn't the case for my ZAGGfolio 2. The Case does work with the iPad 3. (it was snug and I had to do some modifications to the felt pad underneath the felt backing) However, my iPad 3 simply wouldn't shut off when you closed it. No matter how many times I tried. It wasn't until I went into the compartment that housed the magnet in the folio and reversed the magnets that it finally worked. So there is some truth to an issue with polarity.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  11. f4780y

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +634 / 0
    Ahhh. The polarity issue I was referring to was the ability of the Apple Smartcover to attach to the case. Bets are off when it comes to 3rd party cases activating the lock/unlock! :)
  12. Skull One

Skull One iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +78 / 0
    The "sensor" in the iPad (3rd Gen) is about 1/8th of an inch closer to the screen than the "sensor" on the iPad2 for auto lock/unlock. My wifes iPad 2 cover doesn't work because of that, even though it fits perfectly.
  13. f4780y

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +634 / 0
    Odd that both mine work. Ipad2 cover was purchased with the ipad2, but turns my 3 on and off. It is well used and the "hinge" is quite loose. Maybe that's enough to tip the balance...
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  14. Skull One

Skull One iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +78 / 0
    Or your cover has larger magnets built in to the cover. The ones in my wife's cover seem rather small to me but I would have to measure and then compare to other covers to be sure.
  15. PaulCarleton

PaulCarleton iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    It seems strange that changing the Polarity of my magnets would've made a difference if that isn't an issue. The magnets where put back in the exact same spot on the ZAGGfolio when I reversed them. After I fixed it I did go back in and add an additional magnet to make it stronger, as on my iPad 2, I would have to wiggle the cover to get it too work sometimes. The OEM magnets that come with the ZAGG where tiny.
  16. Skull One

Skull One iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +78 / 0
  17. f4780y

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +634 / 0
    Wow. So that reads as though it's just luck as to whether the early covers have magnets inserted the right way round. Guess I was lucky then! :)
  18. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Last night I went to Fred Meyer (a big box department store here in the Pac NW) and got a new polyurethane gray smart cover for my iPad 2, as I'd moved my nice blue leather one over to my new third gen iPad. The salesman in the electronics dept. asked me if I was getting it for the iPad 2 or 3 and insisted that the smart covers for iPad 2 will will not work with the iPad 3. I told him that they in fact do, citing the above. He scowled and went on to insist the polyurethane one isn't compatible but the leather one does. When I got home, I tried the new polyurethane cover on my third Gen iPad. Works. Seems that guy was trying to talk me into spending another $30. I've had the leather one since the iPad 2 first came out. It as well as the new one both fit and work properly on the new iPad. I used their 20% in store coupon and got it for $31. Interestingly, I found a dark gray one mixed in with the gray leather ones. Definitely darker than the light gray. I really had to look it over to make sure it wasn't actually a leather one. I compared it to a rack full of gray polyurethane ones. They were far lighter, practically pastel-looking (like the light blue, pink and light green ones were). Guess I lucked out. :)

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  19. huayangnianhua

huayangnianhua iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What brands are ur iPad smart cover please? there are many news say the smart cover can not fit the new iPad 3 well, i even dare not to buy it before i ensure there will be no problem... thank you!
  20. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I believe we're all talking about the Apple brand covers, as both of mine are.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF