What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SIRI is "biggest threat to Google"

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting article. I'm struck by the discussion of how Siri will "make money." If Morgenthaler is correct that corporations would be happy to give up advertising (Google's monetization model) in return for sending a user directly to a transaction, and I think he is, it suggests that asking Siri for "the nearest restaurant" is going to result in "the nearest restaurant that has paid Siri for the privilege of being promoted." "Will it snow today?" results in "Yes, looks like snow. You might think about stopping by Home Depot. They have shovels on sale. Would you like to reserve one?"

This isn't especially surprising and I suspect that other "hits" will be included in some fashion (much as google shoves some sponsored web sites to the top of the return list), but with a voice response, I can see all sorts of ways to "shape" or bias the results coming from Siri's helpful (usually female) audio response. Considering Apple's recent "Newsstand" app I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that Siri soon becomes a shill for all sorts of content that Apple has deemed worthy of inclusion in questions with some marginal relationship to the questions being asked.

Most reactions

Latest posts