What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shutting off

Laurieth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Y pad keeps shutting off by itself when I am using it, any idea why or how to stop it?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 1 has only 256 MBs of RAM, which is easily overtaxed by later versions of firmware and apps. Try closing all unnecessary apps, and restarting and resetting your iPad. iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

Even with that, you might still experience crashes. I know my iPad 1 started crashing more frequently than my iPad 2, even on the identical websites, because iPad 2 has twice as much RAM.

I gave away my last iPad 1 months ago because it was getting too crash prone for me. I've been noticing in the past couple of weeks that my iPad 2 is becoming more sluggish and crash-prone as well. I've got an iPad 4, too, so I can compare. iPad 4 has four times more RAM as iPad 1 and twice as much as iPad 2.

OP
L

Laurieth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Silly question how do I stop apps I need, I have a task manager on my android phone but do not know how on iPad. Would hate to loose my iPad, do not think I can afford a new one.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Silly question how do I stop apps I need, I have a task manager on my android phone but do not know how on iPad. Would hate to loose my iPad, do not think I can afford a new one.

There's no such task manager equivalent on iPads so you have to close all unnecessary apps one by one. Double tap the Home button, which will bring up your multitask bar, showing all the apps that are running. Hold down any of those apps till all of them start to jiggle, then tap the X for each one to close.

OP
L

Laurieth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you I did that and hope it will help the problem

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you I did that and hope it will help the problem

Hope that works for you.

My iPad 4 is more stable than my iPad 1 eventually ended up being, and more stable than my iPad 2 is now, but even iPad 4 crashes more frequently than iPad 1 used to in its first year or so of life.

Not only has the OS gotten bigger and probably more unstable, the apps are more demanding. iPad 1 came out before Apple even introduced its version of multi-tasking. Now, there's more complexity in the OS, and it's probably getting more kludgy as the developers continue to add to it.

Most reactions

Latest posts