What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shopping List App

Canuckgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking for a shopping list app that doesn't track my every move. After reading the privacy policy (believe me when I say that isn't easy) on a couple of popular ones, I'm not wanting them.

I'd rather pay for a simple app and maintain my freedom.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just use the native Reminders app. I created a list called "Shopping", to keep things separate from my general "Stuff" list and "Bills" reminders.

As a cool bonus you can use Siri to add and view items. Tell Sir to "Add eggs to my shopping list" and they get added. Tell her to "Show me my shopping list" and she does. You can even check them off in Siri's view without opening the app.

Of course, there are shopping list apps that have more advanced features, but my needs are simple. Reminders does it 'good enough'.

As far as privacy, Apple is pretty serious about it's customer's privacy. They are not going to share your shopping list with anyone, even if you do use iCloud to sync it with your other iOS devices, Mac, or icloud.com.

OP
C

Canuckgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks twerppoet. I'm going to give Reminders a try. I don't need much of what is in the "free" apps. Reminders should do the trick. Simplicity is best.

OP
C

Canuckgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Reporting back. Reminders has worked well for me. All I need is the item and price to flag me to what I want. I created a generic list, three of my usual stores and the Mall and Downtown. In the latter two, I just list by initials to flag the store the product is in. e.g. For Save on Foods, I would list SOF milk $4.95.

The only thing I would change is the ability to delete all Done items in one tap rather than individually.

If later, I find I need more I will try Anylist. It seems very straight forward and I could understand the fine print.

Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the update.

Done items will disappear on their own the next time the list is opened. They stick around while you are in the list so that you can change your mind.

If they are not dissapearing, then check the bottom of the list and make sure it does not say Hide Completed. If it does, tap it and it will change to Show Completed. You should also be able to force completed items to hide by toggling this.

Not deleting them gives you a hidden history of your list. I only delete my mistaken entries.

OP
C

Canuckgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're right. I bought it, marked it and it's gone. Didn't expect it to be so simple. Thanks again.

Off topic, I notice your location. I was through WW for the first time this summer. What a lovely spot.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You're right. I bought it, marked it and it's gone. Didn't expect it to be so simple. Thanks again.

Off topic, I notice your location. I was through WW for the first time this summer. What a lovely spot.

No problem. Glad to help.

Walla Walla isn't quite as lovely at the moment, but at least it warmed up. It was in the teensºF last week. Now it's in the thirties.

Richard Orenus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking for a shopping list app that doesn't track my every move. After reading the privacy policy (believe me when I say that isn't easy) on a couple of popular ones, I'm not wanting them.

I'd rather pay for a simple app and maintain my freedom.

Grocery List Apps That Make Shopping, Syncing Lists Simple

OurGroceries
BuyMeAPie
Out Of Milk

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm looking for a shopping list app that doesn't track my every move. After reading the privacy policy (believe me when I say that isn't easy) on a couple of popular ones, I'm not wanting them..........

Not sure if by 'shopping list' you mean for groceries and/or other items? But, if a list for shopping for food is your desire, my wife has been using the AnyList on her iPhone - I have the app on my iPad and can add items which sync to her list - have not check on its privacy policy? Dave :)

P.S. Sorry, did not look @ dates or all of the older posts - AnyList was already mentioned, so just another 'thumbs up' for this app.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts