What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sending app to a friend (from the itunes store)

peacebaby21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, When I first got my iPad 1, If I saw an app I liked in the iTunes store, but was not quite ready to purchase it, I would click on "tell a friend" in the upper right corner of the app. Then I would send it to myself. I made a folder in my email and would add these apps as I got them for future perusal.
Now when I do this, it allows me to put in my email address, but I never receive them! This has been happening for a few weeks now. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! 

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to be clear, you're saying that you used to be able to email these app suggestions to yourself - and you received those emails OK, but that does not happen any longer?

I'm assuming you're receiving normal emails at this same account without any problems?

Tim

OP
peacebaby21

peacebaby21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Just to be clear, you're saying that you used to be able to email these app suggestions to yourself - and you received those emails OK, but that does not happen any longer?

I'm assuming you're receiving normal emails at this same account without any problems?

Tim

Yes, I can receive emails from everyone, even iTunes. I'm just not getting the "send to a friend" ones from iTunes anymore and I don't know why. I have a Yahoo email address.

OP
peacebaby21

peacebaby21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
A long shot, but have you accessed it on the web client and made sure they aren't getting dumped into the junk mail?

Well, that's maybe something I should look into. Thank you. If that isn't it, I'll be back! 

OP
peacebaby21

peacebaby21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope, Nada Nyet

To Tim Spracklen and twerppoet: Watching my spam filter did'nt work either! Can you gentlemen think of anything else? I also have another question if we ever rectify this one! :( Please help! I'm a damsel in distress. :confused:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Go to your Apple ID Account information and double check the primary and secondary email addresses. This can be different than the email address you use to log into the account. (Do not mess with the actual Apple ID name)

You can follow this link and choose Manage Account information.

Apple - Support - Apple ID

Even if the email addresses appear to be ok, you can edit them again, and force them to verify. They should verify by sending you an email that you have to click a reply link on.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You know, after waking up for about 3 more minutes, my last suggestion doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I'll leave it incase you've already read it, but disregard.

No idea, unless your email provider has has Apple blacklisted for some obscure reason.

Reaction score
The 'tell a friend' emails are sent from your main email account, since they never arrive, is there any chance they haven't been sent? Can you send other emails from your Yahoo email account?

Anyway, if we can't solve this problem, then there is always the option of using a work-around. For example using AppShopper, it let's you search the AppStore and when you see an app, you like, you can add it to a wish list. You can always go back to the wish list at a later time, to see which apps you where interested in.

OP
peacebaby21

peacebaby21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
App Shopper

I guess I could try this. I've tried Everything else. I don't know why it worked a few months ago and now it's not. Will be back to let you folks know. Thanks!:mad:

OP
peacebaby21

peacebaby21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yahoo

The 'tell a friend' emails are sent from your main email account, since they never arrive, is there any chance they haven't been sent? Can you send other emails from your Yahoo email account?

Anyway, if we can't solve this problem, then there is always the option of using a work-around. For example using AppShopper, it let's you search the AppStore and when you see an app, you like, you can add it to a wish list. You can always go back to the wish list at a later time, to see which apps you where interested in.

I'm using a Yahoo email address. Always have! :confused:

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
I guess I could try this. I've tried Everything else. I don't know why it worked a few months ago and now it's not. Will be back to let you folks know. Thanks!:mad:

Why would you want to e-mail app notifications to yourself? There's an easier way to do this. Just click on the dropdown arrow of the app, album, movie or T.V. show and add them to your personal "wish list" instead. When you want to see the items in your wish list just click on the dropdown arrow next to your user name (top right corner) and click "wish list" to enter and see your saved items.

robogobo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem. Go to the Mail app on the iPad. Once you open Mail app, they should be sent. Otherwise, in any case, the emails should be in your outbox of the account you're using. Definitely a bug.

The wish list is a good idea, but careful! because it links to a purchase, not a rental.

OP
peacebaby21

peacebaby21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:

Well, I must admit that I Don'tUnderstandMyIpad either, sir. Before, when I would send those "tell a friend" app notices, I could hear like a "whooshing" sound as if it was being delivered and it was. But come to think of it, that stopped at about the same time I noticed I wasn't receiving these emails anymore! I'm sure that goes hand in hand!

I did download the AppShopper earlier and gave myself a good amount of time to use it before I posted back here. The AppShopper is a wonderful alternative to "my problem" that I've been having. It also allows you to put in apps that you already have, hopefully so as not to be repeated in future searches. What I did notice, as I did in the Apple store online, was repetition and lots of it. So I guess I'll have to deal with that, too. I also noticed that by saving future apps this way, it did add in a few more steps for me.....but beggars can't be choosers and I am extremely grateful to you, "I Don'tUnderstandMyIpad" for telling me about the AppShopper!

OP
peacebaby21

peacebaby21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Alternative said:
Why would you want to e-mail app notifications to yourself? There's an easier way to do this. Just click on the dropdown arrow of the app, album, movie or T.V. show and add them to your personal "wish list" instead. When you want to see the items in your wish list just click on the dropdown arrow next to your user name (top right corner) and click "wish list" to enter and see your saved items.

The Alternative

I'm not sure I totally understand what you mean by the dropdown arrow of the app. Could you clarify this for me? Thanks in advance!

Most reactions

Latest posts