What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Second screen for game consoles/TV

LiquidB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

This may be nothing more than wishful thinking, but is there any way that anyone knows about to have my lil ol' iPad as a second screen?

Im not talking about sending the image/video/etc from my pad to a TV but rather, the other way around. Reason being is that I have 1 TV and multiple devices connected to it. And as some people can relate,not everyone in the house wants to watch the same thing. I know that the most likely answer to that sort of problem is to get another TV, duh, but I'd prefer to be more imaginative than that (and not spending money on another TV is a bonus lol).

So far what I have searched for via the supreme internet overlord, Google (praise be to Google), is that what I want is very very very niche.

I have figured out that I 'could' get something like a video capture card for my laptop and run a device into it via HDMI, then stream that capture to the pad via a remote desktop app like 'insert your favorite remote desktop app here' and then watch the stream/play the game. But would someone happen to know of a more elegant solution or would it be likely thats my best bet?

Thanks iPadies

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here are some short headlines, but the answer is yes:

- live TV can be pushed out to tablets, smartphones, etc. from a networked tuner or PC with tuner.
- signals from set-top boxes, cable boxes and consoles can be broadcast to iPad using devices like the Slingbox or Belkin @TV.

So very possible indeed.

OP
L

LiquidB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's almost exactly what I am after.

I say almost because unfortunately neither of those have hdmi inputs but that's all that the devices I have use. I honestly don't even know if my home theater or xbox one can use composite connections :/

But thank you for the tip, it does help me narrow down my focus.

OP
L

LiquidB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If anyone has read this and is curious about this themselves, I have found some more info.

The main reason any devices like theses use component connections is because of the security that HDMI carries on some devices (HDCP).

Also, I still haven't found what I am looking for.

Most reactions

Latest posts