What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote access from Mac to iPad2

sheeagle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to use a Mac to remotely access the iPad? Would like to use the iTap in reverse. Would like to be able to assist students from my Mac to their iPads across internet. Ideas?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Several Members have expressed an interest in an app for this sort of thing but I'm afraid it's simply not possible. The apps in the iPad are 'sandboxed' and so it's not possible for one app to control another app, which is what would be required here. Apple deliberately did this to avoid the possibility of an iPad ever getting a virus - since any malevalent code downloaded to your iPad would be unable to affect any other aspect of the iPad's operation. Downside is that what you're trying to do is just not possible.

Tim

gus_ipadforums

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Several Members have expressed an interest in an app for this sort of thing but I'm afraid it's simply not possible. The apps in the iPad are 'sandboxed' and so it's not possible for one app to control another app, which is what would be required here. Apple deliberately did this to avoid the possibility of an iPad ever getting a virus - since any malevalent code downloaded to your iPad would be unable to affect any other aspect of the iPad's operation. Downside is that what you're trying to do is just not possible.

Tim

Tim

i cant help thinking you're wrong...

1. LogMeIn Rescue with Mobile addon allows remote control of an iPad, exactly what the OP has asked for.

2. Bomgar ver 10.5.2 allows for remote config policies, at an app level. i.e. remote setup of calendars, email and more. Exactly the opposite of what you say is not possible because of sandboxing.

3. For those wishing to j/b there is veency, a VNC host for IOS. This will give remote control of any IOS device with any VNC client, again exactly what the OP is requesting.

While i agree all the above are perhaps expensive or require j/b. They all go sharply against your comment of "Downside is that what you're trying to do is just not possible."

Would you not agree?

John.R.Holmes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gus, If you are right and there is an app running on MAC or PC or anything to give remote viewing/conrol of the IPAD screen via internet or preferably 3G, I would certainly like to evaluate it. As it stands and due to this reason alone my workforce will continue to have lap tops so they can be supported in the field from technical sercives. It looks like we will be going with Android in the future.
Apple have messed up big time by excluding this functionality.

Most reactions

Latest posts