What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about iMedia Player and OPlayerHD Lite

slashfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded these two because I'm not sure which one's better. So I'm gonna ask, which one's better? :) And by the way, how can I watch movies that are on my PC using my iPad? I mean, I don't want to transfer them to my iPad. I just want to stream directly from PC to iPad. Is there anyway? I'm trying to access my PC but I don't what is the IP Address to use and which port. Can someone give me a step by step tutorial? :) Thanks!

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Streaming depends on what each app is capable of. The files on the PC side will need to be in a folder that is network shared, as a minimum if any of the apps support SMB file access, otherwise you will need a media server installed on your PC that will make the files available to stream DLNA style. This will also make them available to media players you may have with or built into you television.

A good compromise is a NAS drive with built in media server. I have an older WD NAS, but it has a built in Twonky server, and have Apple file protocol support, and an iTunes server. The newer NAS drives have even better connectivity options. The other upside of a NAS, is the extra storage, particularly if you have a lot of video content.

wingzfan61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
slashfan said:
I downloaded these two because I'm not sure which one's better. So I'm gonna ask, which one's better? :) And by the way, how can I watch movies that are on my PC using my iPad? I mean, I don't want to transfer them to my iPad. I just want to stream directly from PC to iPad. Is there anyway? I'm trying to access my PC but I don't what is the IP Address to use and which port. Can someone give me a step by step tutorial? :) Thanks!

Tried them both, personally id use 8player. Much faster at loading. Even better than 8player is airvideo. Load the app on your ipad and pc and select what folders to share. Plays with on the fly conversion so much smoother playback.

OP
S

slashfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Streaming depends on what each app is capable of. The files on the PC side will need to be in a folder that is network shared, as a minimum if any of the apps support SMB file access, otherwise you will need a media server installed on your PC that will make the files available to stream DLNA style. This will also make them available to media players you may have with or built into you television.

A good compromise is a NAS drive with built in media server. I have an older WD NAS, but it has a built in Twonky server, and have Apple file protocol support, and an iTunes server. The newer NAS drives have even better connectivity options. The other upside of a NAS, is the extra storage, particularly if you have a lot of video content.

Can you teach me how to set this up properly? :)

OP
S

slashfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BUMP.

Is there a program that can make my PC like a web server so that I can access it through my iPad and watch videos there? I think I've done it once using my PS3 but I forgot because it was a long time ago.

wingzfan61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
slashfan said:
BUMP.

Is there a program that can make my PC like a web server so that I can access it through my iPad and watch videos there? I think I've done it once using my PS3 but I forgot because it was a long time ago.

The one i mentioned above...airvideo

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
slashfan said:
BUMP.

For a proper media server set-up, there is Twonky off the top of my head, there are others of course. Servilo or so,etching like that. unfortunately I've never gone down that route.

Most reactions

Latest posts