What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QR Code reader for ipad 2

Thehamguy1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Never had a Touch with a camera before, so when I got this iPad 2 I went looking for a QR code reader. There are several in the app store but Qrafter is free and had good reviews so I downloaded it and it works perfectly, even though it's listed as an itouch app and there were no QR code readers shown for the iPad. Gonna go post a rave for it in the app store now.

Valkrider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is QRReader and Qrafter free from the app store and they work fine on the iPad2.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There's a very simple, quick app called Scan. It does both bar and QR codes with minimal fuss.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

Barbara34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RedLaser will read all kinds of bar codes, including QR codes.
I want to use this, but am not at all savvy. I tried to hover my barcode a little above the quivery line and tapping the focus thing in the lower right and it tells me no photo found. Then I tried actually placing the barcode on the iPad and tapping with no photo result. How do I get. The app to scan the barcode? I should say that I don't know if I have iPad 3 or not but only bought it about six weeks ago and keep it updated.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I want to use this, but am not at all savvy. I tried to hover my barcode a little above the quivery line and tapping the focus thing in the lower right and it tells me no photo found. Then I tried actually placing the barcode on the iPad and tapping with no photo result. How do I get. The app to scan the barcode?

Hi Barbara - welcome to the forum! :) Might want to give us the iPad model you own (camera resolution is different - my iPad 2 works w/ these scanners but will likely improve when I upgrade to the iPad Air soon). You might also want to tell us which 'scanner' app(s) you have tried - most of these simply open up the rear camera and present a 'box' to surround the code - some do just barcodes, others QR codes, and some both - I have 4 of these apps on my iPad, but would suggest just going to the App Store and search on 'bar code scanner' - there will be plenty of hits; many are free or just a US$ dollar or two - just give some a try. Good luck and let us know your results - Dave

Barbara34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick and kind reply. I don't know how to locate the model, bot I do know it is IOS7 current. I'm trying to use Ibotta and red laser. I get the box okay and the line but don't know how to activate the scanner.

Barbara34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick and kind reply. I don't know how to locate the model, bot I do know it is IOS7 current. I'm trying to use Ibotta and red laser. I get the box okay and the line but don't know how to activate the scanner.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hi again - as to your iPad model, appearances are clues, e.g. small vs. larger screen (Mini or Standard size); thickness for the standard models, i.e. the new Air is thinner; and type of power charger adapter - 30-pin dock vs. Lightning connectors; BUT, your model number is on the back (in small letters) and can be checked HERE; finally, by going to Settings > General > About, the model & serial numbers of your device are listed (among a lot of other details) - these can be looked up online for more specific details

As to the two apps mentioned, I see that these are for shopping; neither are on my iPad 2 but I did DL RedLaser just to have a look - it is optimized for the iPhone; by hitting the red scan button (w/ a lightening bolt) @ the bottom middle, the rectangular box w/ the red line opens, which also activates the scanner; you then hover over a barcode or QR code - see my attached image of a image (sorry for the blurriness but due to the lousy 0.7 MP back camera on my iPad 2) - simply focus the red bar on the code desired and the scan should happen automatically. P.S. make sure that your back camera (upper back under power button) is not being blocked - let us know if these directions help. Dave :)

RedLaser.PNG

Barbara34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, success. After your helpful info I discovered my model is A1432 on the back. On the settings the model is MD53LL/!. IOS is 7.0.3 (11B511). I don't know if that is an ipad 1, 2, 3 or 4, though. However, when you said to be sure the camera is clear, that did the trick. I had a cover on it, and was trying to get it to read the barcode on the glass front by laying the product on top of my ipad. Told ya I wasn't very savvy. I got Ibotta to work, and now am trying to putz around with RedLaser. I downloaded it, but it isn't showing up, so I'll work on that a while. If I have trouble, I'll be back. At any rate, thank you for your help!!!

Most reactions

Latest posts