What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proxy Limits Certain Apps?

J.adpeer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, I'm new but after jail breaking my 3.2.2, I started to realiza that certain apps do not work with proxy servers.
Other than having my proxy server deactivated is there anything else that can be done to permit these apps to function while connected to a connection using proxy?

lprmcnit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We have the same exact problem. The apps and safari work great on our public wifi network, but issues arise when it is routed through a proxy server. I think this goes back to the IOS devices starting as consumer and not corporate devices. The problem apps were not developed to be be aware, or function fully in a proxy environment.

OP
J

J.adpeer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, this is something very unfortunate since a very significant amount of the apps don´t function with proxies. I guess for the time being it´s just open WiFi´s and for those who have 3G, well, lets just say they´re lucky!

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know how much freedom you have to install software on your work computer (if you use one), but I have a fairly simple solution that I have been using since my Windows Mobile days. Download a free personal proxy server (I like Proxy+). Setup a local cascading proxy server that feeds your work proxy your user name and password. On your iPad, point to your local proxy server (your ip:your port). Now the local proxy will take care of supplying the credentials to the "real" proxy server and everything will work fine. I have a Word document I made detailing the steps if anyone is interested. Of course you have to been within wireless range of your PC, so if you need a lot of range this solution is of no use.

tonotme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am very interested in seeing your quide of Proxy+.
I want to use Proxy+ in combination with our work proxy (ISA server).

I don't know how much freedom you have to install software on your work computer (if you use one), but I have a fairly simple solution that I have been using since my Windows Mobile days. Download a free personal proxy server (I like Proxy+). Setup a local cascading proxy server that feeds your work proxy your user name and password. On your iPad, point to your local proxy server (your ip:your port). Now the local proxy will take care of supplying the credentials to the "real" proxy server and everything will work fine. I have a Word document I made detailing the steps if anyone is interested. Of course you have to been within wireless range of your PC, so if you need a lot of range this solution is of no use.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let me dig it up when I get back to work on Monday and I will shoot you a copy.

hafatih_27

iPF Noob
Reaction score

i am very interested too with your proxy+ guide. i am a new iPad user and i am a student using proxy-protected internet service in my university, so i hope u can help me get this solved. regards.

chad_sexington

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I'd also be interested in using proxy+. We've just got a couple of iPads at school and I'm a bit disappointed that half the apps won't connect through our proxy. This workaround sounds good... would you mind mailing me your word document please?
Cheers,
Chris

Most reactions

Latest posts