What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with software update

MacClanIII

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been waiting for 3 hours. The picture of the usb cable to iTunes is on my ipad screen. iTunes site says my ipad2 is updating. I haven't unplugged anything...why is it showing the usb plug to itunes picture?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been waiting for 3 hours. The picture of the usb cable to iTunes is on my ipad screen. iTunes site says my ipad2 is updating. I haven't unplugged anything...why is it showing the usb plug to itunes picture?

Is this a brand new iPad that you're plugging into your PC for the first time - i.e. the first time initialisation - or are you trying to perform a sync operation?

What version of iTunes do you have? It needs to be at least 10.1 - earlier versions will not work correctly.

Tim

OP
M

MacClanIII

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim

Hey thanks for the quick help response...I have had it for a week. I did set it up already...have been using a lot. I have been having problems with the syncing...sometimes it recognizes the ipad sometimes it doesn't. if I unplug the usb cable and plug it into a different pc port...it then works. The iTunes version is 10.2.1.1 I get an error message that says the ipad can not be synced. An error occurred while writing to this device. Another error message said cannot find the drive. I called Apple and they said they would replace it. It will take two weeks. :(

OP
M

MacClanIII

iPF Noob
Reaction score
more info

I just tried to plug it into my pc again and now it doesn't recognize the ipad2...iTunes shows no device. Are the ipad2's having issues or is it just the one I received. I am using the main usb on the back of my pc. I have a new alienware aurora...maxed out.

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, that's a bummer. iTunes was updated yesterday; one of the fixes supposedly deals with sync problems. Maybe if you try installing the latest version, it will solve your problem. At least, I hope so.

OP
M

MacClanIII

iPF Noob
Reaction score
update on my sync problems

Well I reset my ipad2 back to factory level...I unautherized my itunes and then rauthorized it. I uninstalled itunes and then reinstalled it making sure i had latest version. I kept my fingers crossed and tried to sync my ipad to the computer and itunes. It worked at first...I tried installing a few free apps and some pod casts. Everything worked fine. I tried unchecking the "manually mange music" box and it asked me if I was sure. I did it anyways. I tried to sync and it worked.
Ok so what is the problem? Well I just closed itunes and turned off the ipad2 and shut down the pc. I then restarted the pc, turned on the ipad2 and watched as the sync began between the ipad2 and my pc. The ipad can not be synced, an error occured while writing to this device. Then another eror: "itunes cannot find the ipad2 disk. I called apple and they said return it by taking it to the ups store, give them the provided repair id and they will ship it to apple repair. They said I will be shipped a new ipad2. I had engraving on my original but decided not to get this replaced on the second one because of shipping time. I will tell you how I make out. I waited 5 weeks for an ipad2 and now after a week I have to send it back. Hope the next one isn't a lemon.

OP
M

MacClanIII

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also checked to see if i had the latest version of ipad2 sotware and I do. Is this a common ipad2 problem? Is my ipad2 like others the way it syncs on an inconsistent schedule? I am sending it back anyways...and hope that the replacement works everytime when I sync it. I had an itunes account a year ago for my ipod but stopped using it for a while. I bought a new pc and had maxed out the 5 authorizations. I called apple and they extended my number of authorizations by 5. Could this be where my problem lies? Is the ipad2 effected by my itunes history?

OP
M

MacClanIII

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sync problem

Hi,
I have an alienware aurora that is a few months old. It is maxed out. Windows 7... 64 bit...and all that other good stuff that you see techies bragging about...and now I finally can say that. ;) :eek:

Reaction score
MacClanIII said:
Hi,
I have an alienware aurora that is a few months old. It is maxed out. Windows 7... 64 bit...and all that other good stuff that you see techies bragging about...and now I finally can say that. ;) :eek:

In that case, should it work.

It was just an idea, as XP x64 causes problems, but any other OS works fine. Your setup should definitely handle an iPad 2.

Most reactions