What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please Help

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm planning to have an app designed for use on the iPad. Before I have it made, I have to do my due diligence. I need to find information on the costs of developing an app. I need very accurate and detailed information on this subject. Can anyone tell me where I can go to find this info? Thanks for your help.

OP
Knightoftheapp

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DrHouse said:
http://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/

Nothing like the source ;)

VicoPad addict!

First, I should say that I really appreciate your attempt at giving me help on this issue. But I don't think I was very clear in my request. I wasn't referring to Apple's development program. I know about that. What I mean is that I'm going to hire someone to develop the app and it's going to be rather complex. I'm going to be building a business around this app. There will come a time when I'll be talking to potential investors. As such, one of the things that they are going to want are specific and detailed numbers as to how much things are going to cost and where the money will be going. In short, what I'm looking for is a place to go to (perhaps on the net) to research this information.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Appsempire said:
First, I should say that I really appreciate your attempt at giving me help on this issue. But I don't think I was very clear in my request. I wasn't referring to Apple's development program. I know about that. What I mean is that I'm going to hire someone to develop the app and it's going to be rather complex. I'm going to be building a business around this app. There will come a time when I'll be talking to potential investors. As such, one of the things that they are going to want are specific and detailed numbers as to how much things are going to cost and where the money will be going. In short, what I'm looking for is a place to go to (perhaps on the net) to research this information.

Ah, ok, I get it now... Don't know about any site that would help you with that. But generally, having a team of development involves more than maths to create a cost.

It all depends on the type of business that you want to do. Project management is calculated in hours per worker. This means that if only one person would do the job, how long would it take to complete the task...

At least, you need a developer, some hardware (a Mac, an iPad, etc...), a tester that is not the dev, hopefully a designer cause dev are bad designer, and a project manager that is not the dev also. If you are going to build a business around that app, then you'll need a good team. If not, you'll endup in the never ending story ;)

The designer (architect) and the dev will be able to tell you how much time it should take in hours. Then you apply the magic formula of Time x 1.5 to establish a more realistic dead line. It's from my experience that I found out that designer and devs are always too optimistic.

Having your effort time, you multiply by the hour rate to get a budget.

Other costs will be involved like having a website, a support line/email, someone to follow and fix the issues, etc... Sky is the limit :)

if your serious about this, find a project manager that will help you figure out what is needed. And get someone with experience, you'll hire students when the project will provide stable income.

Good luck!

VicoPad addict!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DrHouse said:
iOS Developer Program - Apple Developer

Nothing like the source ;)

VicoPad addict!

I found some information here...

iPhone Development Costs

Tim

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Interesting article and comments as well, and well representative of the costs - hidden and actual - in quality App development.

As an Enterprise developer, our experience is the same for iPad Apps as for any in-house development. It takes twice as long as you think it will, and if your design and feature definition are not rock solid to start with, you will double that time again...

It's no surprise to me that the Facebook iPad app has been in development for a year... and when its released it will still be lacking...

-t

kolin_a

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want accurate estimations you should try to find some development studio with good portfolio. You also should provide them with detailed design, otherwise any estimation will be just a waste of time.

Most reactions

Latest posts