What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photos using too much memory on ipad

IanBuey1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everybody
This is my first post on this forum.
I have the iPad 4 and have 226 photos stored on it and no videos.Yet when I go into Usage and then manage storage it says my photos&Camera are using up 14.5GB??
I have an iPhone 5s with far more photos on it and several videos and they are only using up 3GB.
Any advice would be much appreciated.Thanks in advance
Ian :)

Last edited by a moderator:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've deleted your screenshot as your complete email address was visible. In the interest of safety on the internet it's not a good idea to display your email address in an open post. You're free to re-post the screenshot with the email address obscured.

OP
I

IanBuey1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the iPad 4 and have 226 photos stored on it and no videos.Yet when I go into Usage and then manage storage it says my photos&Camera are using up 14.5GB??
I have an iPhone 5s with far more photos on it and several videos and they are only using up 3GB.
PS:This is a repost due to me not being able to resolve this issue.Hope this is okay #NOVICE

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Ian.... - you should have simply added your 'new' post to your other thread - there may have been important information there for others to view and also advice given - just saying. A mod will likely come along and combine the threads for a better and unified discussion. Dave :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've merged the two threads as having two separate thread can confuse the issue, making the conversation hard to follow. It is also against our rules.

If nothing else has worked, have you tried backing up your iPad, then restoring it through iTunes and then setting it up from the backup you made. This should clear up the discrepancy in the storage taken up by your photos. Let us know if it works.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
PS:This is a repost due to me not being able to resolve this issue.Hope this is okay #NOVICE

Hi again Ian - did you obtain any further information from Twerppoet's suggestion? If not, what have you done to try to resolve the issue - please be specific; also, have you 'Reset' your iPad by holding down the ON-OFF & HOME buttons until the Apple logo appears, release and let the device reboot - this might resolve storage report problems?

If none of this helps, then try the suggestion left by Scifan.. - Dave :)

OP
I

IanBuey1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys thanks for the advice.I have tried tapping on Camera Roll and Photos but that didn't give me any more information as to what the problem was.I also tried re booting the ipad by holding down the Power Button&The Home key together and that hasn't worked so all that is left is to back up and restore the iPad from my iTunes.I shall let you know if this works :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hm. So it only showed the Camera Roll?

I'm not sure if the Photos app will count the photos stored in Messages, but that's another place to look and delete unwanted photos.

rasmith1959

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Let's not forget that deleted photos are held for 30 days before they're actually deleted. This could be another possibility of why the photos is taking up so much space.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Let's not forget that deleted photos are held for 30 days before they're actually deleted. This could be another possibility of why the photos is taking up so much space.
Yes, but you can go into the Deleted Photos folder to completely delete them. Think of it as a Recycle Bin on a Windows machine.

Most reactions

Latest posts