What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pdf viewer that handles many graphics?

johnl316

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a few very large pdf files that contain many graphics. Is there a pdf viewer available that can display the text and graphics? So far I have experimented by downloading at least 8 viewers from itunes and none of them are able to display these files properly in my iPad 2.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
johnl316 said:
I have a few very large pdf files that contain many graphics. Is there a pdf viewer available that can display the text and graphics? So far I have experimented by downloading at least 8 viewers from itunes and none of them are able to display these files properly in my iPad 2.

have you tried good reader?

best if you list what you have already tried so people don't recommend one you have already used

icouldsave.co.uk - help save money and the planet!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As Wytey suggests, GoodReader is a good choice...

It does a lot more too....

There is a program that most all iPad users have called GoodReader. It's the 'Swiss Army Knife' for the iPad and it can store files all together and in folders - or however you want them - and can transfer files to and from your PC using either WiFi or USB without the need for iTunes. It's built in web-browser can download files too, something that Safari doesn't offer - except for PDF format. From within GoodReader you can open those files in any app that supports that type of file. Having said that, though, when a compatible app does open that file it makes a local copy that it works on, so the original copy in GoodReader is left untouched. If you want to store the modified file in GoodReader you have to transfer it back there by some means.

GoodReader can also attach several files to an email and then send them using the iPad's native Mail app - something you can't do from within Mail itself. It also gives you the opportunity to annotate PDF files and save the resulting file so that it can be read on a PC or Mac.

Tim

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did you try Cloud Reader? It is capable of opening very large PDF files.

OP
J

johnl316

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Wytey, tim, and mobi1 for your suggestions. I may try goodreader in the near future but for now have tried cloud reader. nothing works yet. I did discover that other graphic rich pdf's work fine so there may be something with the coding of this particular pdf that causes rendering problems. It views fine on my Mac but not on the iPad. It is not that important to be able to see these graphics for now so I am content just to read the text.

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have one very large graphics file which I honestly didn't think the iPad would be able to handle. It is a detailed and high-resolution map of an area covering approx 4 km x 6 km. The original software makes it possible to magnify it in such detail that you can take measurements that are accurate to 1 inch (2.5 cm). Not surprisingly, the original software won't run on the iPad, and frankly I don't need it to, but I tried to think of a way to make the map viewable in some form.

I decided to try converting it into a PDF file. In order to retain as much detail as possible, I selected "print to PDF" on my computer, with the paper size set at A0 (that's approx 3 feet by 4 feet) and with the settings at maximum resolution (I can't recall exactly what they were, but something like 2400 dpi). I didn't think the computer would be able to handle it, and it took quite a long time, but eventually it worked. I checked the PDF on the computer; it was slow to load it and didn't like it much when I zoomed right in to check the detail, but it was all there.

I dragged a copy of it to Dropbox, then when it had finished transferring it I opened it in Goodreader. I expected it to crash or malfunction in some way, but not a bit of it. It works perfectly, and I can zoom in on any part of the map to a scale that is practically indistinguishable from the original on my computer, and at a similar speed (iPad 2 would probably be even faster).

Needless to say, I am mightily impressed! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts