What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pasting text in Numbers to have multiple rows?

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to paste text containing linefeed into Numbers so it would create rows instead of pasting all the text in a single cell?

I know I can do this in Excel or Calc on a pc, but I could not find a way to do it in Numbers on the iPad, without having to go to a computer.

For example:

Item1
Item2
Item3

Selection the 3 words, including line feeds, and pasting in Numbers will result in a single cell containing the whole text. What I want is having rows A, B, C to have one word for each...

I ended up doing the pasting one word at a time, but it's time consuming...

Thanks!

VicoPad addict!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can change the file suffix on a txt file to .csv and import to Numbers. This will result in a column for every comma, and a new row for every linefeed. You can then copy&paste the resulting table cells from the new document to the document you want them in.

That's the closest I can come to what you want.

OP
DrHouse

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
twerppoet said:
You can change the file suffix on a txt file to .csv and import to Numbers. This will result in a column for every comma, and a new row for every linefeed. You can then copy&paste the resulting table cells from the new document to the document you want them in.

That's the closest I can come to what you want.

That's what I had in mind, by putting the file in dropbox. But goodreader did not let me change the suffix, nor dropbox itself... There is surely an app that would let me change the extention of the file, but I could not find one.

I'll keep looking, and will post the workaround when I find one. I'm a bit disapointed that Numbers does not support a "paste special"...

Thanks

VicoPad addict!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've used GoodReader to change suffixes before. Use the Rename button in the Manage Files section. If the old suffix does not show, add the new one and it will ask whether you want to chane the file type or not.

OP
DrHouse

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
twerppoet said:
I've used GoodReader to change suffixes before. Use the Rename button in the Manage Files section. If the old suffix does not show, add the new one and it will ask whether you want to chane the file type or not.

I figured it out... Thanks for your tip. I had already tried renaming the file with GoodReader, but when I saw ".txt hidden", I stopped there thinking that it would not allow me to change the extention and would end up with file.csv.txt...

So I tried again and renamed the file "file.csv" and GoodReader asked me if I wanted to change the extension, which I did. And voila! A csv file that can be imported in Numbers...

Darn! I was one click away of the solution ;).

You're a genius!

VicoPad addict!

OP
DrHouse

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
twerppoet said:
Nah, someone else had almost the same problem/solution a couple months ago. You must have missed the thread. :)

Maybe... I did googled but I always found articles about importing a csv or on how to paste tables into Numbers... Surely it was there somewhere, buried under csv files, tables and excel graphics ;)

VicoPad addict!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Probably. I'd hate to try and find it myself, and I remember just enough to narrow it down further than you would have. ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts