What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Otterbox case

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Waterproof is a lot harder than you think. It has to take hundreds of opening and closings to be practical. There is no way to use it while it is in the case, so it makes you wonder why. There are a lot of waterproof cases that will work very well, but they will be bulky. It goes wih the territory. If all you are worried about is splashing water, any heavy duty ziplock bag will do the job. If you plan on going down the river in a raft or canoe, get a pelican case for it.

OtterBox did have an ARMOR series for the original iPhone that was waterproof, and they currently also sell an ARMOR case thats water proof for the iPod Touch. I dont know why you say its not usable, it sure is usable.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-eVNO3tmgs]YouTube - OtterBox iPhone Armor Case with Waterproof Headphones[/ame]

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You cannot use the touch pad when it is in the case, unless it is a flexible membrane. That reduces the depth of submersion. It is also more opportunity for a puncture/tear leak. You cannot listen to the speaker, or talk into it, unless it has a special fitting, which adds costs, complexity, and leak opportunity. To be really effective, it needs to be able to breathe. That requires a special vent which adds all of the above issues. It is not impossible, but can get very expensive. For short periods, there are plenty of waterproof bags that can be used for severe dunkings. A strong case is usually needed for anything below 5 ft. My best bag is heavy plastic with both a zip lock and folding seal enclosure. It also inflates to keep it from sinking, among other things. I spend a lot of time dealing with water. I am well familiar with the difficulties of water and usability of electronics.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Something I just thought of right now that I think would be cool.

water proof floating iPad case with built in speakers. iPad floats around on top of the water in a waterproof case with clear plastic top for operating the iPad while still in the floating case. The bottom of the case has built in speakers made for playing in the water. Top of floating case should have a small speaker as well for when your not under water.

That was just something that poped in my head while reading this thread. I'm pretty sure they have something like this for the ipod touch and iphone already. But the real reason I want a water proof case is not for using under water but for not having to worry about using it while out in the rain, or if I take it out with me geocaching in the woods I dont want to worry about something happening if it falls in an area with water. or if in a kayak and it tips over.

I cant stand the water proof/resistant bags, I need something that is an actual case like the otterbox ARMOR cases are.

iDharma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Otterbox Defender case door my iPhone 3G and I love it. Is it bulky? Yep, sure is, but my iPhone has survived several falls/drops that'd have cracked the screen in a lesser case. I'm a bit of a klutz so I am willing to accept a little more bulk in exchange for assurance that minor falls/drops won't kill my no-longer-under-warranty phone.

I'm looking forward to hearing what people think of the iPad Defender, when it comes out.

Most reactions

Latest posts