opinions on ebook sites

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions - Site Assistance' started by sukicat, Apr 24, 2011.

1. sukicat

sukicat iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just got my ipad 2 and am having problems finding sites to download books at the best cost to me...free. Came across a site called mypadmedia. Has anyone heard anything about this site (good or bad)?

2. The Alternative

The Alternative iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Here are a few free and totally legal websites with DRM free content. Be sure to download the ePub versions when available for your iPad. Enjoy!

ManyBooks.net - Ad-free eBooks for your iPad, smartphone, or eBook reader
    Introduction - Baen Books
    Project Gutenberg - free ebooks online download for iPad, Kindle, Nook, Android, iPhone, iPod Touch, Sony Reader
    Free EPUB eBooks for your iPad, Android, Kobo, Nook and Sony eReaders | Unleash Your Books

There are many others but these constitute some of the best.

3. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,024 / 1
    A brief Googling of the site came up with only two kinds of content. The people who were calling them a scam, or just scum, and the ones praising the site.

Notably all positive review sites had lots of anecdotes and explanations about how great it was, and a link to pay the fee and join. The first is typical of scam sites, the second a dead giveaway when you are reading a site that claims to be a review. At the most there should be a link to the site. And it should be subtle, not a big Buy Now! button.

Is that proof of less than honorable intentions? No, but I'd have to do a lot of research before I'd sign up with them, let alone give them my credit card number. Even supposedly free membership sites have been known to sneak some small text extra service (that charges) into that "Submit" button.

I use several of the free sites that The Alternative suggested. There is enough content there to keep you reading for a good while. And they really are free. Moreover they have proven, honest reputations.

4. imac9

imac9 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

5. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,024 / 1
    I didn't know that. Thanks.

6. The Alternative

The Alternative iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Copyright laws differ by country. I do believe some Australian content is still in copyright in the US and UK and therefore by definition illegal to download.

7. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,024 / 1
    Ah, I'll be cautious then. I'm not looking for new books at the moment anyway. I've got a backlog.

I was thinking it was just some interesting Australian writers that got overlooked by the other sites.

8. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    MyPadMedia does not provide illegal access to ebooks. It is a scam though. They have been advertised on this forum before and the user got banned.

The site promotes a $50 flat rate to ebooks, which under current licensing is not possible. Anyhow, if you buy the flat rate, you will find yourself given access to a bunch of outdated and most importantly non-commercial ebooks. You pay to get access to ebooks, which are free anyway!