What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opening gmail link in safari or another browser (dolphin)

Yankee99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If receiving a email with a link gmail open it . Well I don't know where but has a small button in the bottom corner to transfer to safari. This is a long process as you have to load the page twice. Can you direct the links to one where you need them(browser of choice)

OP
Y

Yankee99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cydia tweak called 'browserchooser' or 'browser changer'

Browser chooser does change the browser but via gmail app or imailg you still can not just click the link and go directly to a browser ... You either have to hold the link button and select or open a gmail window and then link to your browser

I probably was not Specific in that I am using gmail app and tried imailg

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You must be talking about using the GMail app. I don't know of anyway to change this behavior. The browser built into GMail is always going to open first.

If you use the mobile GMail site in Safari or the native Mail app, links act as you would expect them to; a tap opens the link in Safari.

OP
Y

Yankee99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You must be talking about using the GMail app. I don't know of anyway to change this behavior. The browser built into GMail is always going to open first.

If you use the mobile GMail site in Safari or the native Mail app, links act as you would expect them to; a tap opens the link in Safari.

ok thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. Google would have to make this change, since it is their app. No reason they couldn't send you straight to Safari. Google now has a Chrome browser app on the iPad. Maybe that would act as a default browser from the GMail app, but I doubt it.

NielNiel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problem. Google would have to make this change, since it is their app. No reason they couldn't send you straight to Safari. Google now has a Chrome browser app on the iPad. Maybe that would act as a default browser from the GMail app, but I doubt it.

With chrome installed, the gmail apps still uses the built in browser. And in settings we can't choose any default to open links.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
NielNiel said:
With chrome installed, the gmail apps still uses the built in browser. And in settings we can't choose any default to open links.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for that. It's about what I expected, but seemed worth looking into.

Most reactions

Latest posts