What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OpenDNS has made my iPad web browsing twice as fast

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's no real solid way to tell on the iPad but it's just a gut reaction. Speedtest will not show an increase most likely because it's not download speeds that are generally improved. I signed up for free, set up within minutes, and changed my dns server to theirs instead of my isp's, and I can tell a difference on any computer connected to my router at home.

Perhaps I just noticed a difference because my dns my ISP uses is just THAT bad, but it's worth a try.

OpenDNS | Internet Navigation And Security

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Im pretty sure i could find it on my PC, but how do you change the DNS server in the iPad? Or is there some router thing that you need to change?

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I changed it on my wireless router. You have to sign up for an account, it's free. Then they will walk you through it. Basically you change the DNS and backup DNS server to their IP instead of "get from ISP automatically". Also, if you have a dynamic IP you need to install a small piece of software on your computer that hosts the internet connection so that it keeps your account updated with the new IP each time it switches.

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like an ad, I'm not paying extra for a dns, it's bad snuff I pay so much for my dsl..

In 10 years from now all high speed will be free, like hotspots are becoming more free..

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like an ad, I'm not paying extra for a dns, it's bad snuff I pay so much for my dsl..

In 10 years from now all high speed will be free, like hotspots are becoming more free..
Did you even read the thread?

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Did you even read the thread?

apparently not.

And free high speed in 10 years? I doubt that. It's a nice thought, but I know my high speed internet rates haven't done anything but go up in the last 10 years. The best case is that home internet will be cheaper for any areas other than those highly populated localles (NYC, LA, etc.) and MAYBE it might be free in the high population locations, but "free for everyone" is much longer away than that.

Hell, there are homes that don't even have cell service/high-speed access.

What a dream.

Anyway, OT: Thanks OP, I might have to check that out. I'm pretty lazy and the browsing is *sufficient* for me, however faster = always better ;)

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I did this a while back on my home router and noticed a slight difference on all the pcs in the house. Now that I think about it, the iPad does seem to resolve faster when I'm at home than on public hotspots. I just figured it was because I had a better connection, but this could have something to do with it.

BTW, for those that missed it OpenDNS is free.

As for free broadband, I seem to be seeing the opposite. Everywhere I go now wifi is locked up and a paid service. The days of free hotspots are pretty much gone around where I live and where I have traveled. On our recent trip to CO, the only place I could get any kind of internet was at our hotel. Other hotels, restaurants, etc were all locked down and there was no data service available through ATT anywhere we went. I would occaisionally get an edge signal, but it was generally so slow it was worthless.

Checkpoint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did this a while back on my home router and noticed a slight difference on all the pcs in the house. Now that I think about it, the iPad does seem to resolve faster when I'm at home than on public hotspots. I just figured it was because I had a better connection, but this could have something to do with it.

As for free broadband, I seem to be seeing the opposite. Everywhere I go now wifi is locked up and a paid service. The days of free hotspots are pretty much gone around where I live and where I have traveled. On our recent trip to CO, the only place I could get any kind of internet was at our hotel. Other hotels, restaurants, etc were all locked down and there was no data service available through ATT anywhere we went. I would occaisionally get an edge signal, but it was generally so slow it was worthless.

Motorola Droid rooted with WiFi Tether is awesome. You get the quality and reliability from Verizon without having to pay extra for a 3G iPad or for 3G access from AT&T that will most likely have little to no signal.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Motorola Droid rooted with WiFi Tether is awesome. You get the quality and reliability from Verizon without having to pay extra for a 3G iPad or for 3G access that will most likely have bad reception.
Yeah, if I traveled a lot, I would do something like that, or even get one of Verizon's portable hotspot boxes. Luckily, I'm usually just around home where ATT is pretty good.

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hotspots are becoming available more and more.. My local malls all have free hotspots, and my Internet service provider used to charge to access their hotspots, now it's free!

Del taco has free wifi, I just saw this at their window the other day..

And hi speed will be free, u might have to deal with a lot of ads, but eventually will be free...

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hotspots are becoming available more and more..

I wish we had free hotspots here. I can find hotspots everywhere, but very few are free. I did read that Starbucks is going to stop charging for theirs - that's good news. I think McDonald's has switched to free as well. Too bad I never go to either of those places.

As for cellular wiresless, that will not be free for a VERY long time if ever. The major carriers are making too much money. Verizon is quickly pushing all their phones to require a data plan. I expect other carriers to do the same. Putting up the infrastructure for 3G/4G data is very expensive - they arent going to turn around and give it away.

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Free hotspots are also usually slow as molasses as well.

Most reactions

Latest posts