What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'open in' function not working for MKV files

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does anyone have an issue with using the 'open in' feature to play MKV files in another application? I have 3 applications that support MKV movie files but if I copy a MKV movie to GoodReader or FileBrowser and then use the 'open in' feature, it says there are no registered applications that support this file type. AVI files on the other hand work fine with all 3 applications offering themselves up in the 'open in' feature.
Anyone experience this issue or have a fix for it?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
donka

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I still haven't found the cause. I upgraded from 4.3.2 to 4.3.3 but the issue remains. I think if I wiped my iPad and then installed one of the MKV apps and tried it, it would work but I'm not wanting to go that far.
The weird thing is my iPad 1 does not have this issue and I have all the same apps installed etc.
There is a work around, if you have an app like FileBrowser, you can rename your MKV file to *.avi and then use the open in feature and the file will still play back fine.

fernandezpaco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thx for the fast response and the rename idea...

That solves part of my problem because same is happening with srt (subtitle) files...

i can pass the mkv as avi but what can i do with the srt?

:confused:

OP
donka

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
thx for the fast response and the rename idea...

That solves part of my problem because same is happening with srt (subtitle) files...

i can pass the mkv as avi but what can i do with the srt?

:confused:

I would contact the dev of the media app you are using and ensure srt files are registered for that app. Which app is it out of curiosity? I could try this on my iPad 1 this evening as a test as I haven't tried it before - my subtitles are typically embedded in MKV files.

fernandezpaco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AvPlayerHD that is supposed to be registerd for mkv and srt...

i think its the same problem.

I guess is a IOS problem...

i dont know what to try... im just arrived to the apple world..
:eek:

I dont think a reinstallation would work because i got two file managers, one was installed before the media apps an the other was installed after.

No one shows any app for this file types..

OP
donka

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I have 3 media players that support MKV files and I have tred reinstalling them all with no effect. I have also tried the open in from FileBrowser, Dropbox and GoodReader and then reinstalled these apps as well but still no success so I believe it is an issue with IOS. They all work fine on my iPad 1, this issue ony affects my iPad 2 but I set this one up as a new iPad and didn't restore it from my iPad 2 so not sure why this is. I spoke with one of the DEVs who was very helpful but he couldn't replicate this issue on his iPad 2.
When IOS 5 comes out I will most likely wipe the iPad 2 and set it up as a new Ipad but not until then.

fernandezpaco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been thinking that i have bought apps in two different app stores... spanish and american...

would that be related?

OP
donka

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
IOS 5? when is that?

It's due to be announced next Monday at an Apple Developer conference. It could be released as early as next week but it will more likley be later in the year when the iPhone 5 is released.

OP
donka

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have been thinking that i have bought apps in two different app stores... spanish and american...

would that be related?

I've only ever used the UK app store and have the issue so I doubt its related.

Most reactions

Latest posts