What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On this day in history.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Roy Rob said:
On this day in 1956, a baby girl was born in Oranjestad on the island of Aruba. Right now she is sitting about 5 feet from me...my wife. ;)

Happy birthday to your wife Roy Rob. The song Aruba springs to mind, but I cannot find it on You Tube. The best I could find is Kokomo by The Beach Boys :). Check out this video on YouTube:

Sent from my iPad 3

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited by a moderator:

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
On this day in 1956, a baby girl was born in Oranjestad on the island of Aruba. Right now she is sitting about 5 feet from me...my wife. ;)

Also Roy, many happy birthday returns from me and my wife. Tell her we both enjoy a glass of Curacao now and again, she'll know what we mean.
All the best for 2013 to you both
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
January 3, 1938; Franklin Delano Roosevelt founds the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis, which he later renamed the March of Dimes Foundation.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
J.R.R. Tolkien was born today in 1892. For the few who might not know he is considered the father of modern fantasy (by at least some people). Best known for the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
J.R.R. Tolkien was born today in 1892. For the few who might not know he is considered the father of modern fantasy (by at least some people). Best known for the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

I'd hazard a guess that he's had more books written about his books than any other author. I was in Chapters last weekend, and there must be hundreds of them. Never thought I'd see a book called "How to read The Hobbit." (OK, that was a joke, but similar titles exist.)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
I'd hazard a guess that he's had more books written about his books than any other author. I was in Chapters last weekend, and there must be hundreds of them. Never thought I'd see a book called "How to read The Hobbit." (OK, that was a joke, but similar titles exist.)

You could fill a library with all the different editions of his books, and books about his books.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Well, maybe not every author/writer, but he's probably in the top ten and due to the movies very popular at the moment; and certainly one of the more modern authors to achieve this kind of attention.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
January 3, 1952; the Dragnet TV show premieres. The first in a long line of realistic police dramas that continues to this day.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
January 4, 1999; the Euro debuts, giving Europe a common currency for the first time since the reign of Charlemagne in the 9th century.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Not quite common!

The Archangel

My apologies to the Pound! While not enjoying universal adoption, most of Europe now uses the Euro.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
1972 – U.S. President Richard Nixon orders the development of a Space Shuttle program.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
January 5, 1933; construction begins on the Golden Gate Bridge.

image-1698302305.jpghttp://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GoldenGateBridge-001.jpg

Most reactions