On this day in history.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KevinJS, Aug 3, 2012.

1. suenc

suenc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Add some ginger and flour and you’ve got some pretty good cookies

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    9F8053D5-FDB1-4137-B0D2-F2E2E69606CB.jpeg E38EDAAE-3BA9-4FB1-B415-AE5C61442A6A.jpeg

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Scifan.. - thanks for the additional pics - for those who may not know the complex geography of Boston and the Harbor area, the Google map below may help - I've circled the location of the Molasses Flood plaque in the North End - a historic area close to the Old North Church and the Paul Revere House (which were not damaged, being on high ground) - Susan & I are planning a trip to Boston in June (have not been there in 10+ years and before the ugly green expressway was put underground) - we'll be down in the waterfront area and will look for that plaque - :) Dave
    Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 12.47.40 AM.png

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    First Fugitive Slave Law Passed Today in 1793

This year is the 400th anniversary of the introduction of slavery into the then colonial British America, i.e. Jamestown, Virginia in 1619. Although a clause was present in the United States Constitution concerning return of slaves to their 'owners', the language was considered weak prompting the passage this day in 1793 of the first Fugitive Slave Law which was signed by George Washington (a slave owner who was obviously in favor of the act, I assume). However, over the next half century, the Southern States felt the need for stronger enforcement which led to passage of the second Fugitive Slave Law as part of the Compromise of 1850, which brought California into the Union as a 'free' state (see quotes below for further information).

The map below shows the 'slave status' of the states and territories in 1850; the Dred Scott case of 1857 further fueled the issue of slavery in the United States eventually leading to the election of Abraham Lincoln and the American Civil War in 1861. These were indeed terrible times - the need for slaves in the South, particularly to run their vast cotton economy, jeopordized 'free' slaves everywhere, especially in the North where kidnapping was not uncommon - a 2013 excellent period drama of this cruelty is the film 12 Years a Slave, highly recommended if not seen already. Also, I'm currently reading the Kindle edition of the book The War Before the War (last pic - released in November 2018), which goes into much detail of these pre-antebellum issues. Dave :)

FugitiveSlave1.jpg FugitiveSlave2.png FugitiveSlave3.jpg FugitiveSlave4.png

5. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Galileo Galilei, once more. There have been a few posts about some important events during his lifetime, but not his birth date. So here we are:
    February 15, 1564: Galileo Galilei was born in Pisa, Italy.
    69D42C68-55A0-457C-A408-E58187BB4FCA.jpeg
    Galileo Galilei - Wikipedia

6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Galileo Galilei (1564-1642) bridged the Renaissance and Baroque musical eras - the lute (and other string instruments of the time) was popular - Galileo came from a musical family (portion of his Wiki bio quoted below) and was an excellent lutenist, himself - his father and younger brother, Michelangelo, were devoted musicians - I own a LOT of lute music and have a few of his lute pieces on some compilation CDs but not a disc completely devoted to father and/or younger son. Dave :)

P.S. Not sure if that's really the Galileis playing lute together but would certainly be a possibility?
    maxresdefault.jpg

7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Just checked the History Website and March 1 was a memorable day - among the many events listed there, I selected the ones below in the quoted list - some may have already been discussed in this thread, but the one that is personal relates to James Taylor.

From the History website, the quotes on Taylor (1948 - Present) explain his early appeal and his continued success w/ nearly 20 albums, 5 Grammy Awards, and induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Susan and I first met at the beginning of his rise to stardom, in Ann Arbor, MI (University of Michigan) in 1968, we married in July 1970 and moved to Winston-Salem, NC the following year - Taylor's song Carolina in My Mind was probably 'our song' at the time and Susan sang and performed the song on guitar - further cementing this relationship was his North Carolina roots - "In 1951, his family moved to Chapel Hill, North Carolina, when his father took a job as an assistant professor of medicine at the University of North Carolina School of Medicine." (LINK above).

Pics below are his Time Magazine cover from March 1, 1971 and his first 2 albums, which we owned on LP - now I have just the one CD of 'Classic Songs' - he has been performing for decades now, has lost that long hair, but is still an outstanding entertainer. Just 2 years younger that us, he has certainly persevered unlike many of the rock stars of that early era. Dave :)

1101710301_400.jpg Screen Shot 2019-03-01 at 1.44.50 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-03-01 at 1.47.13 PM.png

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ides of March 44 BCE - Julius Caesar is Murdered in Rome!

Just started the book below on a 'short' history of Europe (published recently) - on the second chapter about the Roman Empire (now this is really a 'condensed' account, but so far well done) - today, March 15, is the Ides and the day Julius Caesar was assassinated in 44 BCE. His adopted son, Octavian eventually defeated the armies of Cassius and Brutus, who both committed suicide; Octavian became the first Roman emperor, later know as Augustus (see quotes below) - apparently Caesar's last words, if any, are stated below and would have been said in Greek - 'Et Tu, Brute' was a creation of William Shakespeare, but still seems appropriately theatrical - ;) Dave

Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 3.29.52 PM.png

9. suenc

suenc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:

10. suenc

suenc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    “Beware the Ides of March!” Well, it’s 7 hours ’til midnight. If nothing catastrophic happens by then, we should be safe.:eek:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hey - I'm surprised that you did not comment on my James Taylor post! :(