On this day in history.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KevinJS, Aug 3, 2012.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Grand Canyon & Grand Teton National Parks Preserved on this day in 1919 & 1929, respectively!

Just one pic below of each - Susan & I have been only to the Grand Canyon x2, first time included a helicopter ride starting on the south mesa and then flying over the canyon - exciting and memorable. We've not been there since the Skywalk was built - would also be exciting. AND, we would love to visit many of the National Parks out west that we missed in our many early travels. Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 10.19.51 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 10.21.10 AM.png

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hattie McDaniel Won Best Supporting Actress Oscar on this day in 1940!

Last night, Susan & I watch the Oscars and Chris Rock as host did a great job in his opening monologue and throughout the show in 'defusing' the controversy over the lack on Academy Award nominations for black (or others) actors the last two years - now not to get into this issue - BUT, on February 29, 1940, the wonderful black actress was the first African American to win an Oscar; and she is great in her role in Gone with the Wind, which I now own on blu-ray. Dave :)

Hattie_WEB.jpg

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    On March 2, Sam Houston born in 1793 & Texas declares Independence in 1836!

Sam Houston (1793-1863) was a quintessential early American - born in Virginia, moved to Tennessee and became its governor; then, relocated to Texas and was a military leader in the Texas Revolution - after the fall of the Alamo, the Republic of Texas was secured when he won the Battle of San Jacinto against Santa Anna of Mexico in April 1836 - he became the first president of the Republic and when Texas was annexed into the United States in 1845, he was a senator and later a governor of the new state - as governor at the start of the Civil War, he refused to swear loyalty to the Confederacy and was removed from office - he died in late July of 1863 shortly after the Battle of Gettysburg.

list-sam-houston-3232930-E.jpeg

4. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Boy, I've not been to Boston in a while and the ugly above ground 'green highway' was still in place!

But a visit downtown allows a walk on the Massacre street plaque - of course, many know that the first casualty of that encounter was the death of Crispus Attucks, an African American (a little history below from Wiki). Dave :)

Screen Shot 2016-03-05 at 5.34.44 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-03-05 at 5.34.00 PM.png

6. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The last time I was in Boston, in 2004, that ugly green elevated freeway had been removed but the land had not yet been re-developed. The old elevated train tracks were in the middle of demolition.

7. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    8th March 1979. Sony and Philips demonstrated the Compact Disc.

8. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    March 9, 1911: Clara Rockmore, virtuoso performer of the theremin, was born in Vilnius, now Lithuania.
    Clara Rockmore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    There's also a Google doodle today, where you can "learn" playing the theremin. It's available in the northern hemisphere, mostly.

9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    My in-laws had a functional theremin when I first visited their house in New Jersey way back in 1969 - now belongs to my brother-in-law who has had the instrument completely restored and has found a local who can play, so he'll be taking some lessons, I guess?

Below the beginning of a Wiki quote about the 'first' electronic instrument, which was popular in films & TV in the mid-20th century - I own all of the films mentioned below and must say that the sounds of the theremin are most eerie in The Day the Earth Stood Still - below a pic of one that looks similar to by BIL's model; also, there is a great documentary on Theremin, the inventor and his instrument. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 11.06.59 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 11.06.12 AM.png

10. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The Theremin was also used in the Doctor Who theme.
    This was recorded at a live performance at Loncon 3, along with many other Science Fiction themed musical selections. Search on YouTube for Worldcon Philharmonic Orchestra.

#1690 scifan57, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List