On this day in history.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KevinJS, Aug 3, 2012.

1. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    During a naval port visit to Vancouver, Washington in 1983, July 1st was on Friday and July 4th was on Monday so we ended up with a four day weekend .

#2481 scifan57, Jul 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    July 4, 1776 - Independence Day in the United States

Tonight after our cookout (lamb burgers + homemade potato salad), we will likely watch the film 1776 - made in 1972 (believe that I've gone through VHS -> DVD -> BD) - the BD restoration is excellent (check HERE, if interested), especially the sound track - cast shown below - not a perfect story line and songs not too memorable, but we enjoy the movie and the characters (love Howard Da Silva as Franklin). Dave :)
    91X+zNnyQlL._SL1500_.jpg Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 12.11.49 PM.png

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    U.S. Postal System Established Today in 1775 - Benjamin Franklin First Postmaster General

The United States Postal System was established today in 1775 with Benjamin Franklin (a truly remarkable character (see pic below) as the first Postmaster General. When I was growing up, stamps for first-class mail were 3 cents - inflation and other factors have made prices escalate - today the U.S. Post Office has severe financial obligations and debt due to a number of causes, such as declining mail volume and growing expenses (salaries, fuel costs, health and pension benefits) - as to the latter, more HERE, for those interested. Dave :)

Ben1.jpg Ben2.jpg

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    USS Nautilus, First Nuclear Submarine, Travels Under North Pole This Day in 1958!

The World's first nuclear submarine, USS Nautilus, was commissioned in the fall of 1954 and ran under nuclear power in January, 1955. This day in 1958, the ship traveled under the North Pole. The submarine had a 25 year career, and can be seen at the Submarine Force Museum in Groton, Connecticut (more information quoted below) - pics of the launching and the sub's location in Connecticut on the Long Island Sound - see map; now I've been to Mystic Seaport (day trip from Newport, RI - at a medical meeting there years ago), but not to Groton or New London (home of the US Coast Guard Academy). Dave :)
    Nautilus1.jpg Nautilus2.png Nautilus3.png Nautilus4.jpg

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    First Atom Bomb Dropped on Hiroshima this day by the Enola Gay!

Today in 1945, the first atom bomb was dropped on Japan w/ devastating results in quote below; a second bomb, code named “Fat Man”, was dropped three days later over Nagasaki, Japan. It is estimated that between 129,000- 246,000 people died, up to half of them in the first hour, as the results of these two bombs. By August 14, 1945, Japan had unconditionally surrendered (Source). Dave :)

Above posted by me a year ago, BUT there is always something new to add. I'm currently reading the book below, Energy: A Human History, and coincidentally started the chapter today on the development of the atomic bomb (Manhattan Project) and the story of Admiral Hyman Rickover, who was the head of the USS Nautilus project, the first nuclear submarine (and a recent post of mine here) - then late in the afternoon on NPR, a 'radio diary' aired recorded by the last survivor of the 3 planes that flew over Hiroshima on the day the bomb was dropped; his name: Russell Gackenbach, who was a 22 y/o lieutenant and navigator on the mission - more HERE - click on the 'play icon' from the link to hear his comments. Dave :)

Hiroshima1.jpg Hiroshima2.png Hiroshima3.png Hiroshima4.png

Attached Files:

6. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    August 7, 1947;

On this day the balsa wood raft Kon-Tiki completed a 4,300 mile journey from Peru to Raroia near Tahiti.
    Kon-Tiki expedition - Wikipedia
    6275EAFF-5603-44A1-A9A8-F7F67FDC1832.jpeg
    D08EF9A3-D0CF-4426-817F-5DFEEAB51E43.jpeg

#2486 scifan57, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    An exciting story - read Thor Heyerdahl's book in the early 1960s - and have seen a couple videos over the years on TV (do not own a DVD currently although a number are available on Amazon along w/ a Prime Video rental for those interested). Dave :)

8. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The original Kon-Tiki documentary is available in iTunes.

9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Well, I'm better off w/ Amazon and my Roku device (prefer my 42" HDTV) - the original doc comes free w/ my Prime subscription (first pic) - there is also a longer 'documentary' at prices similar to iTunes (2nd pic) - I've seen both - information for those who have not watched these great Kon Tiki videos. Dave :)
    KonTiki1.png KonTiki2.png

10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Aztec Capital Falls to Cortes on this day in 1521!

Tenochtitlan was the capital of the Aztec Empire which extended over a vast territory (see maps) and ruled over an estimated 5 million people. The island city was in Lake Texcoco in the Valley of Mexico connected to the mainland by movable bridges and causeways, and was 3.1 x 5.2 miles in size with a population of about 200,000 inhabitants (although estimates vary) - canals connected the neighborhoods, markets, and central plaza - sort of a Venice of the New World.

Hernan Cortes, a Spanish conquistador founded the town of Veracruz on the Gulf Coast, and the in 1519 moved his army and native allies toward the Aztec capital, where he was permitted to enter in November of that year; much occurred in the next two years (as described below) ending in a long siege beginning in the spring of 1521 - the citizens of Tenochtitlan were decimated by starvation, lack of water, and devastating diseases, such as smallpox and measles. The city finally fell this day and was then completely razed to the ground by Cortes and his men. Below are a variety of pics of what the capital may have looked like to observers of the time - we visited Mexico City back in the early 1970s; the present day Zocalo was built on the Aztec temple site, so nothing remains of this once beautiful city - the National Museum of Anthropology is a must visit if in the present city. Dave :)

P.S. During the Mexican American War (1846-48), General Winfield Scott followed virtually the same route as Cortes from Veracruz to Mexico City in 1847, eventually capturing the Mexican capital, and leading to Mexico's surrender; "When the Duke of Wellington, victor of Waterloo, learned that Scott had succeeded against alarming odds in capturing Mexico City, he proclaimed Scott "the greatest living general" (Source).

Aztec1.jpg Aztec2a.jpg Aztec2b.jpg Aztec2c.jpg Aztec3a.jpg Aztec3b.JPG Aztec4a.jpg Aztec4b.JPG