On this day in history.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KevinJS, Aug 3, 2012.

1. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    November 4, 1922;

Howard Carter uncovers what turned out to be the top step of the entrance to the tomb of Tutankhamen. Howard Carter - Wikipedia
    EA8892F1-CC12-4F8D-B992-D33B8103F307.jpeg

Tutankhamun - Wikipedia
    A8D29B18-ED08-45F9-8933-823A8FCDAAB2.jpeg
    103A5B3E-D7BA-4992-AD7B-1942D5586EE0.jpeg

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    The number of King Tut exhibits that have traveled the world is amazing (starting in the early 1960s) - for those interested, check HERE. In the spring of 2009, we went to Atlanta to see the one circled below at the city's Civic Center - quite impressive as I recall (my pre-iPad Forums days and no pics to show, but a nice account HERE). Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 11.59.47 AM.png

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    A repost from a year ago - an important discovery for humankind - Dave :)

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    In 1917, Lenin's Bosheviks Topple Russian Government - Soviet Union is Born!

The Russian Revolution was a pair of events in the spring and fall of 1917 which dismantled the Tsarist aristocracy and led to the rise of the Soviet Union, the latter dated November 7-8 (also know as the October Revolution due to calendar differences at the time). Today would be the 100th anniversary but an article in my morning newspaper discussed the continuing recent reluctance to celebrate this date in Russia; for those interested, some more discussion in a recent Washington Post Article. More details of the November Revolution quoted below - Dave :)

Lenin1.jpg Lenin2.png

5. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The communists may not have started the revolution but they certainly hijacked it. What the Russian people ended up with was certainly not what they wanted in the beginning.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Tell me! :eek: My wife is a descendent of a Bolshevik commissar! Her maternal grandmother was Dr. Rita Finkler (née Shapiro), who immigrated to the United States just before to Russian Revolution (see first quote, much more in link); her aunt was Serafima Hopner a Bolshevik high party member who knew Lenin (see second quote & pic below) - unfortunately, my first trip to New Jersey to 'meet the family' was in the summer of 1969 - Rita had died the year before - believe we would have been good friends. Life certainly has a lot of surprises. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 5.26.33 PM.png Bolsheviks_Kharkov_Ukraine_anrc_04262a.jpg

7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Thomas Edison Invents the Phonograph in 1877!

In 1877, Thomas Edison invented the cylindrical phonograph but ignored the device to work on the light bulb - in the meantime, others worked on sound production; one of the most important inventors was Emile Berliner, who ten years later invented the 'flat disc' record - following years of other inventions, modifications, and patents, a 30-year period of competition, law suits, and litigation finally 'ironed out' the record industry by the early 1920s w/ the 'flat disc' of Berliner being the winning format (the first FORMAT WAR?) - quotes below about Edison & Berliner.

At present, I am reading the book shown below about Gennett Records - recently purchased at the Indiana State Museum during a visit in Indianapolis w/ our son & DIL earlier this month - the company was located in Richmond, Indiana near the Ohio border (and now just over an hour's drive from the state's capital) - BUT, for those interested, there is a LOT of discussion on this early recording history w/ much detail on the cylinder vs. flat disc technologies and vertical vs. lateral recording techniques of the times. Amazingly, Edison's concept of a 'needle on a surface' lasted over a century - I bought my first CD player in 1984 (went 'cold turkey' on my vinyl record collection - sold my beautiful Denon turntable to my BIL and included my 'record' collection which was not that large at the time). Dave :)

Edison1.jpg Edison2.jpg Edison3.jpg Edison4.jpg Edison5.png Edison6.jpg Edison7.jpg Edison8.png

8. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The biggest disadvantage of the Edison cylinder records was that they couldn't be formed on a press like flat records but had to be individually recorded on duplicating machines that duplicated many cylinders at once. This limited the speed of production. Later on, methods of producing molds for cylinder record duplication were developed. The Cylinder Archive - Cylinder Guide: Black Wax Cylinders

The groove on the Edison flat records had straight sides; the sound being recorded on the undulating bottom of the groove, with the needle moving up and down to reproduce the recorded sound. The flat disc records using the Berliner system had the sound recorded in the undulating sides of the groove, with the needle moving from side to side to reproduce the recorded sound. this is why the two formats are not compatible despite looking identical at first glance.

#2408 scifan57, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Nice summary - the processes, variations, and patent infringement litigation are well discussed in the book referenced in my post. The two competing methods, as you mention above, are known as Vertical vs. Lateral Cut Recording, and certain 'phonograph machines' during this 'format war' could read either recordings depending on needle placement.

The main patent court litigation which was drawn out was the Victor Talking Machine vs. Starr Piano, which Starr Piano (i.e. Gennett Records) eventually won allowing them (and other record producers) to use the 'Lateral Cut Recording Technique' w/o worrying about patent infringement; and leading to the explosion of record companies in the 1920s beyond the then two giants, Victor & Columbia. Dave :)

10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    John Kennedy Assassinated Today in 1963 - see last year's discussion HERE!

Blackbeard the Pirate Killed Off Ocracoke Island by Lt. Robert Maynard in 1718!

Blackbeard was a notorious pirate who terrorized the Carolina coast in his short 'career' - see quotes below for details. For a brief time, he lived in Bath, NC (the first colonial capital of the state) - he scuttled his ship, the Queen Anne's Revenge near the Beaufort inlet and an undersea archeological recovery is ongoing - artifacts are exhibited in the NC Maritime Museum in Beaufort (for more details and pics - see my Carolina Coastal travelogue HERE starting w/ post #50).

In November of 1718, Governor Spotswood of Virginia sent Lt. Robert Maynard to track down Blackbeard - a fierce battle ensured off the coast of Ocracoke Island (a topic of my Outer Banks travelogue) on November 22 and the infamous pirate was killed (w/ a LOT of effort from musket balls and sword slashes!) - he was beheaded and his head hung from the front mast of Maynard's ship. Dave :)

BlackbeardA1.jpg BlackbeardA2.png BlackbeardA3.png BlackbeardA4.jpg BlackbeardB1.jpg BlackbeardB2.jpg BlackbeardB3.gif BlackbeardB4.jpg