On this day in history.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KevinJS, Aug 3, 2012.

1. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    October 1, 1890;

On this day President Benjamin Harrison signed into law the act of Congress creating Yosemite National Park. Yosemite National Park - Wikipedia
    2B477F2D-5D0E-4473-A62D-BBDC6E85C80A.jpeg 5FC219C6-4CE4-4AB8-A758-364CE1DEB9F0.jpeg 2317802E-F66D-4268-BF37-84A2C7113F6D.jpeg

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Over several decades ago, we were on a trip to Reno, Nevada, Lake Tahoe, & Yosemite National Park - we stayed 3-4 nights in the park at their historic Ahwahnee Hotel (now called the Majestic Yosemite Hotel) - for those wanting to stay there, book FAR ahead! - first 2 pics below). Two of the main iconic sites (among many, including nearby giant redwoods) are Yosemite Falls (which were almost dry on our visit) and Half Dome (next 2 pics).

Over recent years, we've purchased 3 photographs from the Ansel Adams Gallery - two of Half Dome & one of the Jeffrey Pine (all shown below) - these are actual photo prints made from Adam's original negatives (see description below from link) - unfortunately, the web pics do not do the photographs justice, sorry. Dave :)

Yosemite1.png Yosemite2.png Yosemite3.png Yosemite4.png Yosemite5.png Yosemite6.png

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    October 1 - Quite a Day for Events

After SciFan..'s post, I checked my usual This Day in History site and SO MUCH occurred, so simply made a selected list of eight more events (first quote below and others all from the link) - did not quote or pictured all of these happenings, so check the source, in interested.

Just some personal comments: 1) Concerning radio (which we had of course), by the time I was a youngster, my father had bought our first TV (NO resemblance to my current 42" HDTV - chuckle); 2) Jimmy Carter, a Nobel Laureate, had his 93th birthday today; 3) Around 1990 or so, I was in Nuremberg for 3 nights (w/ my colleague picking out X-ray equipment at the Siemens headquarters in Erlangen) and despite the WW II bombing some of the inner city was not destroyed and also rebuilt - a beautiful town as I recall; 4) In 1961, I was really into baseball (cards, mitts, bats, playing, etc.) and the Yankees were our favorites w/ Mantle and Maris - for me, the breaking of Babe Ruth's remarkable 1927 home run record (there is an * for that accomplishment) was much more thrilling than the later doped up super home run record hitters, but just my opinion; and 5) Johnny Carson - 30 years or so as host of the Tonight Show - I still watch a LOT of YouTube videos of his shows, especially the comedians (Robin Williams w/ Jonathan Winters likely my favorite). Dave :)

Oct1_1.jpg Oct1_2.jpg Oct1_3.jpg Oct1_4.jpg Oct1_5.jpg

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Battle of King's Mountain October 7, 1780 - Patriot Victory & Beginning of Cornwallis' Downfall!

Today in 1780, the Battle of King's Mountain (located in South Carolina now, despite the first quote), basically a 'civil war' conflict between American patriots & loyalists, the latter under the leadership of Major Patrick Ferguson (in the pic, he is listed as 'Colonel' which was a brevet promotion, I believe) - he was killed in the battle at 36 years of age; his death and the losing conflict were major blows to General Cornwallis.

In January 1781, the Battle of Cowpens occurred nearby, also in South Carolina (both places near the North Carolina border) (see map & description in pic); there General Daniel Morgan defeated British Lt. Colonel Banastre Tarleton - yet another blow to Cornwallis - the next blow came at the Battle of Guilford Courthouse (near me in present day Greensboro) - technically a British victory w/ the retreat of Nathanael Greene, but a costly one in men for Cornwallis, who then headed into Virginia to Yorktown, and we all know what happened there. King's Mountain & Cowpens arewest of Charlotte and just off I-85, a 2-hour drive for us. Dave :)

KingsMtn1.png KingsMtn2.jpg KingsMtn3.jpg KingsMtn4.jpg KingsMtn5.jpg KingsMtn6.png

5. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    October 12, 1492;

Christopher Columbus makes his first landfall in the new world, probably at Watling Island in the Bahamas.
    Christopher Columbus - Wikipedia
    BC41018A-ECC3-4F0E-A3BA-05F1C16DC4E2.jpeg
    EB656C25-2518-4125-BE25-BBF4D4BC4E16.jpeg
    D8270A68-58EB-422F-9FC8-D815ADD67BE1.png

6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    As stated in the added quote below from a few years back in this thread, the legacy of Christopher Columbus continues to deteriorate in the United States - only half of States now officially recognize October 12 as a holiday (if so, celebrated on the 2nd Monday of the month) - see map below (Source) - instead States are migrating to honor the native Americans rather than Columbus - the link above shows that a number now have an Indigenous Peoples’ Day or a Native American Day (I prefer the latter term) - this trend is likely to continue - earlier in the week, there were many articles, web discussions, and NPR radio programs on the topic and deservedly so, in my mind.

At the moment, North Carolina where I live does not observed Columbus Day as a holiday, but I'm rather surprised that some type of attention has not been given to the Native Americans - the interaction of indigenous peoples in the state with Europeans historically started in 1585 w/ the 'Lost Colony' (discussed in one of my travelogues), continued with other southern Indian nations, such as the Cherokees (and the unwarranted disaster of the Trail of Tears); and even into the present. Hopefully, North Carolina and many of the other States not celebrating its past and present Native populations will do so in the future. Dave :)

P.S. check my link below for an excellent book recommendation on the disastrous effects of the European discovery of the Americas.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 6.48.49 PM.png

7. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The interesting thing is that in none of Columbus’s voyages did he ever set foot on or even see any lands that eventually formed parts of the United States.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Battle of Agincourt - English Longbow Devastates the French This Day in 1415!

During the Hundred Years' War (1337-1453), a series of conflicts raged between the English and French thrones with the most catastrophic French defeat occurring at Agincourt - the English longbow dominated the weaponry - the French lost nearly 6000 men, including about 40% of its nobility; English life loss was modest (see more in quotes below - Source). Pics show the battlefield, the English archers, and the short-lived Henry V. Dave :)

Agincourt1.jpg Agincourt2.png Agincourt3.jpg Agincourt4.jpg

9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Fats Domino Dies on Tuesday, October 24, At His Home - New Orleans Legend!

A New Orleans legend dies at his home at the age of 89 years - Blueberry Hill performance below, along w/ a pic and the only CD that I own of his music, but a good one w/ 20 of his hits. Dave :)

Fats1.png Fats2.jpg

10. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    At the present time, archaeologists have yet to pinpoint the exact site of the battle. Very little has been found at the traditional site of the battle. Finding the site of the battlefield - Agincourt 1415 - University of Southampton