On this day in history.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KevinJS, Aug 3, 2012.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the link - watched the entire presentation and especially enjoyed the image below - :D
    Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 5.37.19 PM.png

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That image was one of the funniest moments in any Steve Jobs Keynote.

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    'Gone With The Wind' Published Today in 1936

Margaret Mitchell's Gone With The Wind was published today in 1936, and released as a blockbuster movie in 1939 starring Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh - I read the book as a teenager and have seen the movie numerous times over the decades; also, have owned on VHS tape, then DVD, and now BD (which I bought on a visit to Atlanta, GA at the Margaret Mitchell House & Museum - pics below of the outside & their 'small' apartment, which was called The Dump).

Margaret Mitchell (1900-1949) was a native and long time resident of Atlanta, Georgia - she and her second husband, John Marsh lived in a small cramped apartment where she wrote the novel - she was diminutive (4 ft 11 inches) while her husband towered over her - on a visit to the house and museum, the bed (pic below) they used fit her fine but his feet apparently hung off the bottom according to our guide. Just down Peachtree Street from their residence, she was hit by a speeding car and died within a week at the age of 48 years. Atlanta has many attractions, but this one is a personal recommendation. Dave :)

Mitchell1.png Mitchell2.jpg Mitchell3.png Mitchell4.png

4. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    July 10, 1925;

The Scopes trial begins in Dayton, Tennessee. It was popularly called the Monkey Trial. John Thomas Scopes, a young high school science teacher, was charged with teaching evolution in violation of a Tennessee state law. Scopes Trial - Wikipedia
    IMG_4126.JPG

Inherit The Wind was a Hollywood adaptation of the trial.
    IMG_4127.JPG

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Medal of Honor Created Today in 1862 by Abraham Lincoln

The Medal of Honor is the United State's highest military decoration. After reading the quotes below, I immediately thought of Audie Murphy (1925-1971), one of the most decorated soldiers in WW II - his medals are shown below - in 1955, the film To Hell and Back was released based on his book - Murphy starred in the bioptic (own on DVD). Tragically, he died in his mid-40s in a private airplane crash into a mountain just west of Roanoke, Virginia (about 2 hours from me). Dave :)

Murphy1.png Murphy2.png

#2325 giradman, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    French Revolutionaries Storm the Bastille July 14, 1789!

Today in 1789, the Bastille fell initiating the French Revolution and the end of the monarchy - in 1793, Louis XVI first and a number of months later, his wife, Marie Antionette were put to death by the guillotine - this was followed by the rise of Napoleon Bonaparte, leading to the Napoleonic Wars until his empire collapsed in 1815 at the Battle of Waterloo. Dave :)

Bastille1.jpg Bastille2.png Bastille3.jpg Bastille4.jpg

7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Revolutionary New Audio Technology Named 'MP3' Today in 1995!

In 1995, the audio compression codec called MP3 was introduced which reduced the size of a CD-A by 90% (depending on the encoding bit rate), i.e. one minute of music going from 10 MB to 1 MB! This allowed storage of a LOT more music on a computer, portable music device, and much quicker transmission over the slower internet of the time - now music downloads and streaming are ubiquitous. I was ripping my CDs to MP3 files and putting 4-5 hours of music on single CD-Rs to play in my basement workshop; also have an old iPod Touch (2G) w/ 40+ hours of music (and room for twice that at least), which I used almost daily.

Today, there are a number of audio codecs, both 'lossless' & 'lossy' (MP3 and Apple's AAC being examples of the latter) - the listing below is one that I've posted on several forums in the past, for those interested in audio coding options - I've stuck w/ MP3 due to much better hardware playback compatibility. The last pic below shows the effect of audio compression and digitalization options for purchasing and streaming music in the USA over a 14 year period (Source) - I suspect that CD sales are down by 90% or more since 2014 - amazing! Dave :)

Audio Codecs

Lossless: non-compressed (NC) & compressed (C)
    • WAV (Windows NC) - duplicates CD-A - LARGE files (10 MB/min)
    • AIFF (Audio Interchange File Format) - Apple’s WAV version
    • FLAC (Free Lostless Audio Codec) - C file & saves space
    Lossy: information lost but to a variable extent
    • MP3 - popular; bit rate affects quality; 1MB/min average
    • AAC (Advanced Audio Codec) - Apple’s MP3 equivalent; better?
    • WMA (Windows Media Audio) - similar to the others
    MP3_1.png MP3_2.png MP3_3.jpg MP3_4.jpg

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Disneyland Opened Today in California in 1955!

Walt Disney's theme park opened in Anaheim, California over 60 years ago - although I've been to the state numerous times, Susan and I took our son there just once - HOWEVER, Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida, which was opened in 1971 is another story (see quotes below) - we first took our son there in the mid-1970s (he was 3-4 years old); we returned w/ him a number of times, plus in my academic years, medical meetings that I attended were often held in Orlando. Now there are multiple Disney Parks around on other continents, the newest just opening in Shanghai, China. Dave :)

Disneyland1.png Disneyland2.jpg Disneyland3.jpg Disneyland4.jpeg

9. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I’ve been there dozens of times, including twice during their 30th anniversary year and 5 times during their 50th anniversary year. The 50th anniversary fireworks every night were spectacular, even by Disneyland standards. I’ve also been to the two Disney theme parks in Tokyo, Japan; Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea, which has among its many attractions a full size replica of captain Nemo’s Volcania base from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

#2329 scifan57, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    BOY - that's impressive, a real Disneyphile! :)

I've been a Disney fan most of my life, I guess - was watching the Mickey Mouse Club in the 1950s (the boys always enjoyed Annette!). I've likely seen nearly all of the animated films (before & after the Pixar acquisition) and own the nearly 20 or so below, most as BDs. As to the MANY non-aninated Disney movies, I have at least a dozen or more in my collection, although have seen many of them over the decades.

Now, looking at that list - I need to obtain Fantasia on blu-ray - the sound is suppose to be fantastic (according to the review below - Source), however, the current Amazon Prime price is nearly $40 (USD) - $23 in their marketplace (MP) - I do have some credit, so maybe time for a purchase? :rolleyes: Dave :)

ADDENDUM: Well after reading the review on Fantasia in the link, I went to the Amazon MP and using $15 of my credit, purchase the 2-BD set (both movies) for $12 - shipping from England (but stated to be 'region free').
    Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 1.55.54 PM.png http---mashable.com-wp-content-uploads-2012-10-original-mmc-640.jpg 71wHT5wzEYL._SX342_.jpg Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 2.05.43 PM.png

#2330 giradman, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017