On this day in history.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KevinJS, Aug 3, 2012.

1. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi Dave. I'm still around. I look in on all the forums but I've been very busy at work. 7 days a week at present.

Happy 72nd birthday, Bob Seger.

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    May 7, 1915;
    The Lusitania is torpedoed without warning off the coast of Ireland by a German submarine. The ship sank in 20 minutes with the loss of 1,198 lives. Although it wasn't publicly known at the time, the Lusitania was carrying contraband to Britain.
    RMS Lusitania - Wikipedia
    Sinking of the RMS Lusitania - Wikipedia
    IMG_3454.JPG IMG_3455.JPG IMG_3456.JPG
    IMG_3457.JPG
    IMG_3458.JPG

#2272 scifan57, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017
  3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    War on Mexico Declared this day in 1846!

The Mexican-American War, 1846-1848, one of the least remembered but important to American expansionism, i.e. Manifest Destiny, to the west coast, and likely the main and possibly unjustly reason for starting the war (opinions vary widely) - Zachary Taylor & Winfield Scott were the commanding generals for the US invasion forces w/ Taylor winning the presidency in 1848 (see first two quotes below). James K. Polk, the one-term president (1845-1849) claim to fame is that he added the most land to the expanding United States than any other president (see third quote).

This war does not receive the attention of the others fought by the USA, but I've read a couple of good books and there are some documentaries - the one I remember seeing on release (about a dozen years ago) is shown below, a PBS production - thought that it was in my collection but not found - available on Amazon, so might put in an order. Dave :)

P.S. Many West Point 'junior' officers fought in this war, including Ulysses S. Grant & Robert E. Lee, who would soon command in the Civil War on opposite sides.

MexicanAmWar1.jpg MexicanAmWar2.jpg MexicanAmWar3.jpg MexicanAmWar4.png MexicanAmWar5.gif MexicanAmWar6.jpg

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    First Oscars on this day in 1929!

The first Oscar Night hosted by Douglas Fairbanks, Sr. in the Blossom Room of the Roosevelt Hotel (first pic below). Wings, a silent film was the 'Best Picture' (The Jazz Singer, the seminal first 'talkie' was not in the running - see quotes below). Janet Gaynor was nominated as 'Best Actress' for three of the 5 films in that category. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 2.41.35 PM.png wings_dvd.jpg e6659a0ed10a5a0dc146795883d37ec0.jpg Gaynor, Janet_01.jpg

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    100th Anniversary of the Introduction of Cheerwine in Salisbury, North Carolina!

Not really the usual historic event presented here, but a big article in our local newspaper this morning - Salisbury is just down the road from us (see map) - if I drink colas these days, diet is always my option although I favor non-carbonated diet drinks (such as lemon).

Now in the 1890s, Pepsi-Cola was invented in a drugstore in New Bern, North Carolina on the coast, more famous as the colonial capital of the state and the rebuilt Tryon Palace (discussed in one of my travelogues) - the drugstore is still there and is a tourist museum offering the cola from a soda fountain. Now for the 'granddaddy' of colas (1880s), a trip to Atlanta, GA is needed - a worthwhile visit and plenty of other attractions there. Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 10.09.29 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 10.15.48 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 10.11.16 AM.png 5b641f87c0d08da9c91da1af4247ca4a.jpg

6. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    May 19, 1935;
    T. E. Lawrence dies as the result of a motorcycle accident 6 days earlier. He is better known as Lawrence of Arabia.
    T. E. Lawrence - Wikipedia
    IMG_0874.JPG IMG_0875.JPG

The Peter O'Toole movie "Lawrence of Arabia" is the version of his story that most people are familiar with.
    Lawrence of Arabia (film) - Wikipedia
    IMG_0876.JPG

When I was in London in 2014, I visited his memorial in the crypt of St. Paul's Cathedral.

7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    For those who enjoy this film (LONG - I watch over 2 nights), the blu-ray offering shown below is just superb; the audiovisual restoration is spectacular - complete review HERE. Also, Peter O'Toole was (is?) the unluckiest Oscar nominee in history - he received 8 'Best Actor' nominations and won none (as shown below) - finally, given an honorary Oscar shortly before his death. Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 11.10.43 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 11.12.27 AM.png

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus - Last Performance Tonight - End of an Era!

For many reasons (some describe below - more info HERE), the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus will shut down after nearly a century and half existence - I've not seen a circus in years (probably last time around 1980 w/ our son in New Jersey), but such a part of Americana.

NPR had a nice show a few days ago and interviewed the long standing ringmaster, Johnathan Lee Iverson - he'll be 'out a job' as will many other performers - apparently he has the distinction of being the first (and last) African American ringmaster of the circus. The Ringling Complex is located in Sarasota, FL - described in one of my travelogues HERE, for those interested. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2017-05-21 at 3.24.22 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-05-21 at 3.16.22 PM.png gal-circus-9-jpg.jpg

9. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm watching the circus live on YouTube right now.

If you want to see something of what the circus was like in it's heyday, I recommend watching The Greatest Show on Earth.
    IMG_3564.JPG

#2279 scifan57, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
  10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hope that you enjoy - might have to watch those last shows - sure that there will be some future offerings!

But out of curiosity - how many 'circus movies' have been made over the decades - googled and found THIS LIST of 34 films (probably not complete) spanding 1928-2011 - over the years, I've seen the 9 shown below, but just own two (in bold).

If suggestions are wanted, then I'd agree w/ SciFan.., The Greatest Show on Earth is a must! If I had to go down that list, then Billy Rose's Jumbo, Dumbo, La Strada, & Trapeze would be my further recommendations - Dave :)