On this day in history.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KevinJS, Aug 3, 2012.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    USS Maine Explodes in Havana Harbor This Day in 1898 Initiating the Spanish-American War

The USS Maine exploded this day in Havana Harbor and shortly started the short-lived Spanish-American War, which was fought in both the Caribbean and the far off Pacific (story quoted below). Theodore Roosevelt led his Rough Riders up San Juan Hill in Cuba leading to his nomination for Vice President w/ William McKinley, who was soon assassinated after their Republican victory for the White House, making Teddy Roosevelt the 26th President and the youngest to assume office at age 42 years.

With the Treaty of Paris, Spain ceded the Philippines, Guam, and Puerto Rico to the United States - Hawaii was also annexed at that time becoming the 50th State in the USA in 1959 (see third quote below) - finally, in bold in that quote - the Spanish were freed of blame for the explosion of the USS Maine. Dave :)

Maine1.jpg Maine2.jpg Maine3.jpg Maine4.jpg Maine5.jpg

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    February 16, 1923;
    On this day, Howard Carter enters the burial chamber of Tutankhamen in the Valkey of the Kings.
    Tutankhamun - Wikipedia
    IMG_2886.JPG

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Over the decades, there have been numerous King Tut Exhibits throughout the world - we were fortunate to see the one in Atlanta, GA (a 5-hour drive) in the spring of 2009 - impressive as I recall (before my 'travelogue' days) - Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2017-02-17 at 10.57.55 AM.png

4. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    In the Valley of the Kings today, there's only one Pharaoh still in his tomb, Tutankhamen. If you want to see his mummy, you have to go there.

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Roosevelt Signs Order For Internment of 120,000 Japanese-Americans This Day in 1942!

The general history of America's internment of its own citizens during World War II has focused on the incarceration of 120,000 Japanese, 62% of them American-born, who were forcibly evacuated from the Pacific coast after the bombing of Pearl Harbor (Source).

In my mind, a terrible event in American history - not sure how I would have felt in 1942 (not even born), but an unfair and disruptive occurrence for so many Japanese-Americans at the time - quotes above and below, if interested in more details, and just some selected pics - Dave :)

banner_japanese_american_internment2.GIF 78d7e83010699d7b45ec42c8598628de.jpg japanese-internment-snapshot1.jpg.gif japanese-internment-camp-3.jpg 3768008_orig.jpg

6. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I would think that that executive order must have been unconstitutional in that it deprived US citizens of their rights without due process. It's important to note that there was no corresponding internment of German Americans.

7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi SciFan.. - after doing some googling, the Executive Order 9066 was challenged in the Supreme Court in 1944, and by a 6–3 decision, the ruling declared the exclusion order constitutional (Source). As to German Americans (and Italian Americans), I suspect that the unprovoked surprise attack of Pearl Harbor and the ethnic appearance of the Japanese Americans were likely factors in that executive order, but just my thoughts.

Some interesting facts quoted below from the first link in my previous post - plenty of Germans were arrested (and movies from the period made) and one of the only persons to make some sense was Eleanor Roosevelt (second quote) - my favorite First Lady - :) Dave

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    USA Defeats Russians in Olympic Hockey in 1980!

The so-called Miracle on Ice, a Cinderella story in which a bunch of mainly American college players defeated a seasoned Russian "pro' team that had captured the previous 4 Olympic gold medals - I did watch that game on TV - Dave :)

3150239_orig.jpg 1392799.jpg

9. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    One of the reasons for the dominance of the Russian/Soviet hockey team until this game is that it was composed of professionals long before the Olympic rules allowed it. They got around the rule by having the players enlisted in the Red Army, where all they did was play hockey all year.

10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Agree - thus, the reason I described the Soviet players as a 'seasoned Russian "pro" team' - Dave :)