On this day in history.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KevinJS, Aug 3, 2012.

1. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The last time I was in Boston I saw a bar called the 21st Amendment.

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
  3. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    #2203 scifan57, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
  5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Elizabeth Blackwell Became the First U.S. Female Medical Physician in 1849!

As a retired physician who has read a lot of medical history, especially in my early years - Elizabeth Blackwell (1821-1910) is well known to me. She attended Geneva Medical College (now Hobart College) in upstate New York (not far southwest from Albany) - today, about a third of U.S. physicians are women, which will increase since nearly half of recent medical school graduates here are female (Source). Dave :)

Blackwell1.jpg Blackwell2.jpg Blackwell3.png Blackwell4.png

6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Since the current post is on a woman physician, let me add a personal note - I married into a family of physicians, i.e. father & mother in-laws and Susan's maternal grandmother (and her younger brother), who I never met (she died a year before my first pre-marital visit to New Jersey - we would have been 'mates').

Rita Sapiro Finkler was born in Russia and attended medical school in Philadelphia graduating in 1915 - she was Susan's maternal grandmother - she was a founder of endocrinology in the state of New Jersey (and after a trip to Europe, introduced the very early Aschheim-Zondek Test for pregnancy) - in Newark, Susan first lived in her grandmother's house and remembers the mice (or maybe later the rabbits) used to perform this test - still regret not ever knowing her - she has a Wiki article (partly quoted below). Dave :)

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 6.53.05 PM.png

#2206 giradman, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  7. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Exactly 50 years ago, on January 27, 1967, the Outer Space Treaty was opened for signature in London, Moscow and Washinton.
    It's the basis for international space law. It states that "exploration and use of outer space should be carried on for the benefit of all peoples", outer space "shall be free for exploration and use by all States" and "shall be used by all States Parties to the Treaty exclusively for peaceful purposes."
    To this day, it has been ratified by 105 countries.
    OUTER SPACE TREATY
    Outer Space Treaty - Wikipedia

8. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    #2208 J. A., Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    National Geographic Society Founded This Day in 1888

The National Geographic Society was founded today in Washington, D.C. in 1881. Some history quoted below and also a few brief statements about its remarkable first president, Gardiner Greene Hubbard. A couple pics of the Museum and Administrative Building.

Susan & I are going to D.C. in May for a 5-night vacation mainly to see some of the new museums - we've not been to the National Geographic Museum in decades, so might put that on the list. We will be staying at the historic Willard Hotel on Pennsylvania Avenue just blocks from the White House - will use the excellent Metro for transportation. Dave :)

NG_AdminBldg.png NG_Museum.png NG_Willard.png

#2209 giradman, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    International Holocaust Remembrance Day - January 27

Today is the annual commemoration day for the WW II Holocaust - designated as the day that the Auschwitz concentration camp was liberated - quote below from the US Holocaust Museum - one of my favorite films about this horrific period is Schindler's List - I own the 20th anniversary blu-ray edition shown below - worth a re-watch and recommended to those who certainly have not seen this dramatic portrayal - directed by Steven Spielberg; music by John Williams see second quote below from previous link - nominated for 12 Oscars, and winner of 7, including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Film Score for Williams. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 12.22.49 PM.png 71-ogiTX7xL._SX342_.jpg